Fire ants hurt when they bite. Step on a fire ant or walk too close to their mound, and the next thing you know, you’ll be bitten for your transgression by one of the worst bites you can get. In terms of levels, fire ants fall in the level 1 pain scale, which is less than a honey bee sting.
Bullet ants hurt the most, and the pain is so bad, it sends people to the emergency room.
Even on the lower-end of the pain scale, fire ants can cause havoc and hurt badly. If you have fire ants in your yard, it’s time to get rid of them once and for all.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
Table of Contents
- Quick Characteristics to Identify Fire Ants
- 8 Top Commercial Products (2018) and Fire Ant Poisons
- The Final Verdict
Quick Characteristics to Identify Fire Ants
Fire ants are a reddish-brown color, and this is the easiest way to identify them. The size of these ants is 1/8” to 1/4” long. When their mound is disturbed, these ants go on the aggressive and will come to the surface to attack.
The feeling of a bite is like being burned, and white fluid blisters form at the site in a few days.
Worker fire ants will bite repeatedly using their mandible and will sting using their stingers. There are red imported fire ants, too, which are 1.6 – 5 mm in length and are red and black in color.
8 Top Commercial Products (2018) and Fire Ant Poisons
This bottle of Fire Ant Killer is mainly designed for ornamental plants and lawns. A good thing about Ortho Orene is that it does not require water to kill and is very easy to use. Just one tablespoon of dry powder over the mound is enough to kill the queen of the Fire Ants. Once the queen is taken care of, we can be sure of no re infestation. The queen usually dies within 3 days and the effect lasts for 6 months or more. The composition of this Fire Ant killer is 50% Acephate and it can treat up to 162 mounds. The time for active effect is few minutes and it works well against Red harvester Ants too.
- The Ortho Orene has a very long lasting effect. That is for 6 months or more.
- The action of this insecticide is pretty fast compared to the other models
- We do not need to mix the granules of Ortho Orene with mater before pouring it.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
- When applying the insecticide, it should be applied directly onto the mound.
- At times, the product is kind of difficult to apply
- The granules of Ortho Orene are harmful for other plants and animals and may even kill or harm it.
Advion fire ant bait is one of the best in the world. This is a four pack, and it works as an attractant that lures in all types of ants. Since ants love sweets, this is a sweet feeder that is odorless.
The goal is to place the gel in an area where the ants will take the bait and bring it back to their colony.
DuPont Professional Products offers a plunger with this product, and it is simple to use:
- Place bait in key areas where the ants traverse
You can use the plunger to get into tough cracks and crevices, too. The rest is up to the ants. These little insects will feed on the gel, bring it back to share, and kill their entire colony. Ants flock to the bait, and it’s a lot more potent than borax.
When using this product, try to not kill any ants for a few weeks, as it takes time to get into the colony and kill all ants. If possible, place the bait next to the colony to draw out ants and lead to a mass killing.buy now
The Martin’s Surrender Fire Ant Killer comes in a good quality shaker that enables us to sprinkle it over the ant mound. The main ingredient constituted in the Surrender powder is Acephate which kills the pests within a few days of applying. It is quite a successful insecticide and works very well in the long run. The quality of Martin’s Surrender Fire Ant Killer is at par with the major insecticides and it is quite strong. The result of being a potent insecticide is that it has long term benefits and results that are consistent. Apart from the bad odour that it releases, almost everything else is good about Martin’s Surrender.
- The active ingredient used in this insecticide is very powerful and reliable.
- A variety of bugs such as spiders, Fire ants etc can be taken care of by Martin’s Surrender Ant killer.
- Before we get to the end result, the Ant killer has to be just applied 1 or two times.
- The expiry for this insecticide is quite long and therefore has a longer shelf life.
- The odour that you get after applying is very bad and sometimes is described as rotten sulphur mixed with old milk.
- The grass, bugs, plants etc near to the area of application can totally be damaged.
- The applicator provided along might not be of much use. You need to use a spoon to carry out the application properly.
- It is quite dangerous for pets and children. Definitely must be kept out of their reach.
Ortho fire ant killer is one of the most potent products on the market. This product is provided in 11.5 pound bags, and it’s only available in select states because it’s so effective. Ortho guarantees this product will work, and it can treat up to 5,000 sq. ft.
This product will keep mounds from forming for six months, and it kills the queen, too.
You can apply this killer easily:
- Sprinkle one tablespoon on the mound
- Apply the granules across the lawn
- Add water
So, the first step is to place the granules on the mound, and then spread it across the lawn and add water.
Following both steps will kill fire ants and keep them from forming new mounds for up to six months.Buy Now
Amdro offers fire ant bait granules, too, in a two-pound container. This is a fast-acting bait, and the active ingredient is hydramethylnon. What’s great about this product is that it kills the queen and all her subjects even when you don’t know where the mound is located.
This product works exactly like the previous product, and a two-step process is followed:
- Target colonies and mounds that you’ve identified
- Sprinkle the bait across the yard
Amdro works all season long, and it’s designed to taste just like food to ants. The ants will bring the “food” back to the colony to share, and there is a delayed reaction to ensure that the other ants don’t realize there’s a problem until it’s too late.
The full effect takes form in one week in most cases, in which the queen ant is already on her death bed waiting to die.
This is better than any contact killer on the market.Buy Now
These granules are very effective in stopping the Fire ants and destroying your home or lawns. With the combination of grass seeds and fertilizers, you can apply it against weeds. In fact, the Scotts Snap Pac Fire Ant Killer works very well against Fire Ants as well as weeds. In terms of management of your garden, this product is second to none as it helps you fight against pests at the same time control the growth of unnecessary plants like weed. For short term benefits and for overall control, the Snap Pac might be the best insecticide out there. In terms of long run, this product just falls short though.
- The Residual effect is quite long. It goes beyond 4 months which is great.
- The Scotts Snap Pac insecticide is very versatile in the sense that you can get rid of weeds, Fire Ants as well as other pests with a single product.
- The immediate effect creates a good impact. The after effects of applying can be seen within 12 hours.
- A spreader is required for applying it around your yard.
- The product is not 100% waterproof and can turn out to be a problem for some.
The success of the product is not always on the positive side. It is more like a hit or miss scenario depending on the infestation and the situation you are involved in.buy now
One of the best Fire Ant killer Dust products in the market, Bayer Advanced can get it done within a short matter of period. After applying the dust to the mound, the colony will get wiped soon and you will start seeing dead ants around. Additional products per application are not required and the use is for outside areas only.
Even though it is quite popular owing to its effectiveness, due to the active ingredient Cyfluthrin, it is banned in some states. It is because Cyfluthrin is a dangerous constituent and is poisonous to humans.
If you have a cat or dog, ensure you don’t use this product.
But this poison is one of the most effective on the market. You’ll spread the dust across your lawn, and the poison will be eaten by the ants and taken back to their nest to finish off the rest of the colony.
Ideally, this dust should be placed as close to a mound as possible due to its toxic nature.
- The results are extremely fast. It takes less than an hour approximately.
- The product is known to be very consistent with many positive customer reviews.
- It can be used against a wide range of pests.
- The active constituent Cyfluthrin is dangerous to human beings
- The application of dust to the mounds can be hard at times
- The nearby plants and animals will be affected adversely.
One of the most likable products from this line, the Advion Fire Ant Bait is one of a kind. It has proven to be very effective in the control of pests. The active ingredient inside Advion is Indoxocarb, which is the same constituent used for killing of cockroaches. The killing takes place in a time frame of 24 to 48 hours. You can either apply it over your lawn or apply it on top of each mound individually. It all depends on your requirements.
In case the Fire ant problem is not getting to a halt, you can try both the options and the result will be in favour. This Fire Ant Bait is effective in all the stages of life of the ants.
- The active ingredient used in this bait is very effective and known
- The killing action is very quick with a time period of 24 to 48 hours.
- It can be used against a wide variety of pests. (versatility)
- The Product is really expensive when compared to other products in the list.
- The Advion Fire Ant Bait might require a spreader when applying it to your whole yard.
The Final Verdict
All the above-said products work really well against the Fire ants. But still, every product whether it is above average or amazing has its pros and cons. When talking about safety, we simply cannot use Bayer Advanced Fire Ant killer without taking precautions. The Martin’s Surrender has powerful active ingredients but the odour is something to be noted as it is quite uncomfortable. The Advion and the Scotts Snap requires the use of external spreaders to apply it in your yard. Considering the safety aspects, the Ortho is the clear winner and also no water mixing is required. In terms of duration of effects too, the Ortho has a clear shot advantage with a period of over 6 months which is really commendable. Each one stands out on its respective merits but some drawbacks are also worth noting. It is purely up to your discretion as to which product would be better for getting rid of this menace. The choice is yours; the fight is theirs to win!