Mosquitoes and their bites are unpleasant and dreaded by almost everyone. Once they bite us and leave their saliva behind on our bodies, they cause itchy bumps and spread deadly diseases. What we wouldn’t do to keep those tiny creatures at bay!
With those bites, comes a considerable amount of health risk so it is best to take preventive measures before things worsen. However, if you start noticing joint pain or fever-like symptoms, then it is highly recommended that you visit your doctor immediately.
Here is a complete guide to select the best mosquito repellent out there.
Table of Contents
- Top-rated 3 Mosquito Repellents of 2019
- 5 Best Mosquito Repellents with DEET
- 5 Best Mosquito Repellents to Fight Zika
- 5 Best Mosquito Sprays
- 5 Best Indoor Mosquito Repellents
- 5 Best Outdoor Mosquito Repellents
Top-rated 3 Mosquito Repellents of 2019
5 Best Mosquito Repellents with DEET
The common name for N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide is DEET. There are receptors and neurons located on the antennae and parts of the mouth of mosquitoes that distinguish chemicals such as carbon dioxide and lactic acid. Instead of killing them, DEET interferes with their receptors and, as a result, keeps the mosquitoes away. Developed by the U.S. Army in 1946, it has been used to repel mosquitoes and other insects ever since.
Here are our picks for the 5 best mosquito repellents with DEET
- Repel 100 Insect Repellent has the highest concentration available of DEET which is of 98.11%.
- It provides long-lasting protection from mosquitoes. That is up to 10 hours.
- Available in 0.47oz, 1oz, and 4oz spray bottles. Along with being effective, it is portable as well.
- It repels mosquitoes that may transmit the West Nile, Chikungunya, Zika, and Dengue viruses.
- One disadvantage to this product is that it leaves your skin oily. Better oily than irritated, right?
- DEET tends to melt plastic and a few other things. Be sure to test the spray on a small area to avoid any damage.
- Repel 100 Insect Repellent should NOT be used on children of age under 2 years.
- Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max is a formula lotion with a DEET concentration of 40%.
- It repels mosquitoes effectively for prolonged periods so you can easily go outdoors without worrying about mosquito bites.
- It resists sweat and is non-oily which makes it the best mosquito repellent for bikers, joggers, campers, and whoever likes to spend their time outdoors.
- It comes in a 4-ounce bottle so it is portable. You can easily carry it with your gear when going on an adventure!
- Read the instructions on the container carefully and use in accordance with the directions provided.
- Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Sticks is a formula produced with a DEET concentration of 30%.
- It provides long-lasting protection and with full coverage, it creates a barrier that keeps mosquitoes at a distance from you.
- It repels mosquitoes that may transmit the Dengue, Chikungunya, West Nile, and Zika viruses.
- The 1-ounce stick is portable so you can carry it easily in your backpack.
- In addition, it can be comfortably applied to your neck, legs, arms, and face.
- Do wash off the product later from your skin, especially from your children’s bodies to avoid any side effects.
- Repel Insect Family Dry comes in an aerosol form with a 10% DEET concentration.
- It is a non-oily and non-greasy aerosol spray.
- Although the description says that the product is unscented, some reviews suggest that it has a pleasant smell and also dries quickly.
- You can apply it on your exposed skin as well as clothing to protect yourself from those dipterous creatures.
- It is effective against mosquitoes that may transmit the Chikungunya, Dengue, Zika, and West Nile viruses.
- For maximum protection against mosquitoes, slightly dampen your skin, spray the product, and follow by spreading it with your hands.
- Products that contain DEET must not be used on children under the age of 2 years.
- Sawyer Products Ultra Insect Repellent has a DEET concentration of 30% and is liposome-based.
- It provides long-lasting protection from mosquitoes. That is of a prolonged period of up to 8-11 hours.
- It is fragrance-free, compatible with sunscreens, and non-greasy.
- The best thing about this Ultra Premium Ultra 30% DEET Insect Repellent in Liposome Base Lotion is that it doesn’t stain and resists perspiration.
- This product is a must-have while going outdoors or traveling. It comes in easy-to-carry, airline-friendly 3 and 4-ounce bottles.
- It effectively repels the yellow fever mosquitoes that carry the Zika virus.
- This product is for external use only. Avoid contact with eyes.
5 Best Mosquito Repellents to Fight Zika
The Aedes mosquitoes are known to bite during the day. The virus transmitted by those mosquitoes is the prime reason for the Zika virus disease to occur in living beings. Common symptoms include headaches, joint and muscle pain, conjunctivitis, fever, and rashes.
Here is a list of our picks of 5 best mosquito repellents to fight Zika:
- Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin works effectively to repel aedes aegypti which can transmit the Zika virus. These mosquitoes are commonly known as yellow fever mosquitoes.
- It has a soft, pleasant odor and is a non-greasy product that dries and evaporates quickly without damaging plastic or clothing.
- It provides protection against mosquitoes for a long period of time. The spray works up to 12 hours whereas the lotion is effective up to 14 hours.
- The lotion comes in a box of 14 or 50 packets of 0.34-ounce each.
- The spray comes in pump sprays of 0.5-ounce, 3-ounce, 4-ounce and 6-ounce.
- The product can be applied directly to your skin or on your clothing.
- Ben’s 30% DEET Tick & Insect Wilderness Formula is an eco-friendly spray that doesn’t release harmful aerosols.
- It is stain-free, non-oily
- According to reviews, it doesn’t come with an expiry date.
- It can be directly applied to your skin and is available in a roll-on applicator now, which makes it convenient to apply without making a mess.
- If you are looking for an alcohol-free product, then this is the right choice for you. According to the manufacturer, it is distinctively water-based and doesn’t contain alcohol.
- It is necessary to keep this product away from the eyes or it can cause substantial but temporary eye injury.
- Natrapel 12-Hour Mosquito, Tick, and Insect Repellent fights effectively to repel mosquitoes that may transmit the Zika virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, Dengue, West Nile virus, and Lyme disease.
- This easy-to-apply, eco-friendly spray provides protection from mosquitoes for up to 12 hours without releasing harmful aerosols.
- DEET has a tendency to melt jackets and damage other plastics. It is a DEET-free product so it is safe on your equipment.
- You can directly apply this product on your skin or clothing. However, in the case of kids, apply the product on their skin with your hands.
- Once you are safely back in your home, wash the product off with soap and water before reapplication.
- Do not apply this product over cuts or irritated skin.
- Off! Deepwoods VIII, with 25 percent DEET provides long-lasting protection from mosquitoes that may transmit the Dengue, West Nile or Zika virus.
- The effectiveness of this product lasts up to 8 hours.
- The aerosol spray makes its application super-easy and convenient.
- It is non-oily, non-greasy, doesn’t stain and resists perspiration.
- It can be applied directly to the skin or your clothing. For the face, apply the product on your hands first and then use them to gently rub it on your face. Remember over-application is unnecessary.
- Once you are safe from exposure to mosquitoes, wash the spray off with water and soap.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent is formulated with oil of lemon eucalyptus and a DEET-free mosquito repellent.
- It repels mosquitoes that may transmit the Chikungunya virus, Dengue, Zika, and West Nile.
- It is non-greasy, non-sticky, and has a refreshing fragrance so you don’t need to put with the usual odor of bug sprays.
- REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent keeps the mosquitoes at bay for up to 6 hours.
- This product must not be used on children under 3 years of age.
5 Best Mosquito Sprays
Summers are here and all you want is to go out, have fun, and keep the buzz-killers away! Using mosquito sprays is one of the most convenient methods to keep those tiny, bloodsuckers as far from you as possible. When properly used, mosquito sprays can discourage mosquitoes from ending up on your skin and clothing. Your risk of getting diseases is lowered and it becomes easier to go outdoors!
Spray the insects away with our picks of the 5 best mosquito sprays.
- Cutter Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent effectively fights to keep mosquitoes away that may transmit West Nile, Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika viruses.
- It is DEET-free and hence doesn’t ruin things made of plastic.
- It contains oil of lemon eucalyptus which works to repel mosquitoes for up to 6 hours.
- For best results, apply the product on your hands first and spread on your exposed areas. Do not apply it directly to your skin.
- Keep out of reach of children and do not allow them to apply this product themselves.
- Do not use this product more than two times a day.
- Repel Scented Family Insect Repellant has a DEET concentration of 15%.
- It repels mosquitoes that may transmit viruses like Dengue, West Nile, Chikungunya, and Zika.
- It’s convenient to apply, as it is a non-greasy and sweat-resistant formula. It also has a pleasant fragrance.
- You can apply this product directly to your exposed skin. For protecting the face, dispense it on your hands first and then use them to spread it on your face.
- Do not use it under clothing, on cuts, wounds or irritated skin.
- Keep away from children.
- Do not apply on sunburned skin and near eyes and mouth
- Vet’s Best Spray is not exactly a repellent but users claim that it kills mosquitoes without any harsh chemicals.
- The 32-ounce bottle can treat up to 5000 square ft. Vet’s Best Yard and Kennel Spray 96-ounce Refill can also be used to refill the bottle.
- It includes a ready-to-use hose attachment through which the application becomes easier.
- It is not known to be safe for flowers, trees or shrubs.
- Apply in the required area and let it air dry for about half an hour before exposing yourself or any pets to the area. No need to rinse it. Reapply as necessary.
- As the name suggests, Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns & Landscapes Concentrate is a ready-to-spray bug killer.
- It is claimed to be non-staining to most home gear.
- According to the product label, it also gives a money-back guarantee. Guaranteed results or you get your money back.
- It is available as a concentrated formula which can be diluted by adding water and also as a ready-to-spray QuickFlip concentrated spray that can be attached directly to your hose.
- For maximum results, apply this spray before dusk and dawn. The population of mosquitoes tends to be high at both these times of the day.
- Once again, Ortho Bug B Gon Insect Killer goes to the root of the problem and kills the mosquitoes instead of repelling them.
- One 10lb bottle of the product can be used to treat up to 10,000 square feet of area and one application keeps the mosquitoes at bay for up to 3 months.
- It is claimed to be safe to use around flower beds, vegetables, ornaments, and shrubs.
- According to the product label, Ortho Bug B Gon Insect Killer also gives a money-back guarantee. Guaranteed results or you get your money back.
5 Best Indoor Mosquito Repellents
The only thing worse than mosquitoes swarming around you outdoors is them swarming around you indoors. Either you’re having an intimate gathering at your home or just cuddling up to binge watch your favorite TV show, you don’t want them to ruin any of it. You start waving them and swatting them away with your hands, but for how long will that work? You need a permanent solution to your mosquito problem.
Here are our picks of the 5 best indoor mosquito repellents:
- Citronella (Mosquito Repellant) Scented Blended Soy Candle is intended for indoor use, as it doesn’t release smoke.
- It is claimed to be made from eco-friendly blended soy wax.
- This natural product burns for approximately 40 hours without releasing smoke to leave your house mosquito-free!
- As these are homemade candles, you do not have to worry about toxic, harsh chemicals harming you and your surroundings.
- Do not leave the candles unattended while they are lit.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Keep the candles in heat-resistant jars as prolonged use may cause burning or melting of the containers.
- Crioxen Indoor Plug-in Bug Zapper – Mosquito Trap with UV Light uses 4 UV lights to emit light and attract the mosquitoes and high voltage to kill them within seconds.
- It is portable and covers up to 500 square ft of area. All you need to do is plug the zapper in and turn the switch on.
- They provide a brush that can be used to easily clean the bug collection tray where mosquitoes are trapped and killed.
- It is claimed to be durable and made with eco-friendly materials.
- Do not touch the zapper with wet hands.
- Keep it away from children.
- COSYWORLD Mosquito Repellent Sticks Natural Insect Repellent Incense Sticks are manufactured with 100% all natural plant oils.
- Lemongrass and citronella oil are used in these sticks, which are known to repel mosquitoes naturally. Therefore, the product is non- toxic and safe for you and your family.
- Depending on the wind and humidity, each of these sticks burns up to 40-50 minutes and keeps the mosquitoes away for over 12 hours.
Important Note: According to reviews, these sticks release a lot of smoke. If you are allergic to smoke or it irritates you, then don’t opt for this product.
- Light in the Dark Votive Citronella Candles come in a pack of 12, 36, 72 or 288 natural mosquito repellent citronella candles.
- These candles contain 100% lead-free wick and are crafted from paraffin wax of top-most quality.
- The strong, citrus aroma of these candles irritates the mosquitoes and keeps them away.
- Light in the Dark Votive Citronella Candles work effectively to repel the mosquitoes for up to 10 hours if used properly in a glass holder.
Note: It is best to use cup-shaped candle holders to avoid making a mess as the candles tend to melt and spill.
- TAKOYI Ultrasonic Pest Repeller is environment-friendly and repels mosquitoes rather than killing them. No need to clean any mess after use.
- It is claimed to be free from harmful chemicals, any poison, and noise and 100% safe for pregnant woman, pets, and kids.
- The non-toxic repellent makes the pests leave after 3 weeks of usage.
- All you need to do is install the Ultrasonic Repeller 30 cm away from your floor, turn the power on, and let it work its magic.
- Do not touch the Ultrasonic Repeller with wet hands.
- Keep it away from children.
5 Best Outdoor Mosquito Repellents
Nobody likes to have their perfectly pleasant summer evenings to get ruined by mosquitoes. Sometimes all you want is to relax in your backyard and enjoy a barbeque with your friends or family. However, you don’t want uninvited buzz-killers to ruin your gatherings. While it may not be possible to shield your yards and patios from the nasty mosquitoes completely, it is one hundred percent possible to reduce their attendance with some of the most effective mosquito repellents.
Here are our picks for the 5 best outdoor mosquito repellents:
- Thermacell MR450 Armored Portable Mosquito Repeller provides protection for a 15-feet area and keeps the mosquitoes away for 12 hours with 3 repellent mats and fuel cartridge.
- This product is fragrance-free, DEET-free and you don’t need to spray chemicals on your beloved skin.
- The MR450 Repeller comes with built-in LED light which monitors performance and lets the user know if the flame goes out or the fuel ends so that one is always ready to keep the mosquitoes away.
- Thermacell has a responsive customer-support team and MR450 comes with a 1-year satisfaction guarantee.
- It is claimed to have been evaluated by the EPA for effectiveness and safety.
- Thermacell Radius Zone Mosquito Repellent is durable, odorless, mess-free, and compact.
- It comes with a 12-hour refill repellent cartridge, USB battery charger, and a built-in Li-Ion rechargeable battery. A 40-hour refill is sold separately.
- This product is claimed to be DEET-free and perfect for outdoors!
- With just a push of a button, the 3-inch portable mosquito repellent pushes back the mosquitoes so that you can enjoy your time outdoors as you were meant to.
- Thermacell Radius Zone Mosquito Repellent is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Cutter Backyard Bug Control Spray helps in controlling and repelling mosquitoes for up to 4 weeks.
- 32 ounces of this over-the-counter spray treats an area of approximately 5000 square feet.
- To use this spray, all you need to do is connect it to your garden hose and spray to repel and kill mosquitoes.
- In addition, it is claimed that it is safe to use this product on flowers, ornaments, and shrubs.
- For maximum results, spray before the mosquito population is at its peak.
- This spray becomes harmful if swallowed.
- Avoid contact with eyes. It can cause moderate irritation in the eyes.
- EcoGuard Plus is an insecticide which is claimed to be a 100% natural and biodegradable.
- If it comes in contact with mosquitoes, it kills them and also repels them for up to a month.
- 4 pounds of this product covers over 12 acres of ground.
- It is non-staining and can be sprayed on all plants.
- It has a mild, floral scent.
- Backpack and compression sprayers, hose-end applicators, and mist blowers are some of the equipment that can be used for its application.
- EcoGuard Plus is claimed to be harmless for all mammals including pets and humans.
- Thermacell Outdoor Mosquito Repellent Lantern provides a protective shield of 15 ft from mosquitoes.
- It delivers LED lighting as well. However, the repellent and the light operate separately.
- It is a DEET-free, mess-free, and aerosol-free product.
- The repellent used in the Tharmacell Mosquito repellent is odorless, invisible, and claims to be evaluated by the EPA for effectiveness and safety.
- The lantern is not only 100% satisfaction guaranteed but also provides 12-hour protection against mosquitoes
- The product is portable and compact, which makes it ideal for emergencies.
Remember, it is a violation of Federal Law to use any product in a manner that is inconsistent with its labeling. Read and follow all precautions and directions mentioned on the product label before using them.
Select the product that suits you the best and get rid of mosquito bites.
Top 25 Best Mosquito Repellents and Sprays
Mosquitoes and their bites are unpleasant and dreaded by almost everyone. Once they bite us and leave their saliva behind on our bodies, they cause itchy b