What is that itchy bump?
It probably is a mosquito bite, now that the weather is warmer (at least in some places). The pesky mosquito is here to ruin our picnics and our evening get-togethers. There are over 250 species of mosquitoes and the time they bite humans at varies from species to species. Some mosquitoes bite during the day while others bite after sunset. In any case, these pests annoy us, irritate us, and also inflict itchy bites on our bodies. The worst part: they even transmit deadly diseases like malaria and dengue.
If you are looking to get rid of mosquitoes in your bedroom as well as outdoors in your yard, you are in the right place! In this guide, we will learn all about the best indoor and outdoor mosquito killers that are effective and provide value for money. We will also make unbiased reviews of the top 10 best mosquito killers, zappers and traps.
Table of Contents
- Top-rated 3 Mosquito Killer Comparison
- Health Issues and Risks Related to Mosquitoes
- 4 Types of Mosquito Killer Products
- 10 Best Mosquito Killer Reviews (August 2019, Updated)
- 1. Crioxen Indoor Plug-In Bug Zapper
- 2. Brison Indoor Plug In Mosquito Repeller
- 3. Aspecteck Electronic Bug Killer
- 4. LiBa Bug Killer
- 5. Sourcing4U The Executioner Zapper
- 6. Flowtron Electronic Bug Killer
- 7. ZAP It BUG Zapper
- 8. Prime House Ultrasonic Pest Repellent
- 9. KAPAS Electric Bug Zapper
- 10. Mosquito Guard Kids Repellent Bands/Bracelets
Top-rated 3 Mosquito Killer Comparison
But first some basics…
Health Issues and Risks Related to Mosquitoes
What Causes Widespread Mosquitoes Infestation?
Here are common factors that cause mosquitoes in an area:
- Female mosquitoes lay hundreds of eggs on the surface of the water. The life cycle of mosquitoes is relatively short and takes fewer than three weeks and they need water to complete the stages. Thus, the accumulation of standing water is the main culprit behind mosquito infestation.
- Over the decades, mosquitoes are getting immune to common chemicals, insecticides and repellents. By natural selection, pesticides have created strains of super-resistant
- Widespread use of pesticides also kills frogs, fish, birds and other natural predators of the mosquito leading to an increase in their numbers.
What are the Dangers of Mosquitoes to Humans?
These terrible bugs lead to bites and itchy welts in sensitive people. Children are extremely sensitive and, sometimes, even allergic to mosquito bites. These tiny bugs are capable of disturbing a good night’s sleep in adults leading to a lack of productivity at work the next day. In some people, mosquitoes are known to cause psychological issues like insomnia, nervousness and anxiety.
Mosquitoes spread many deadly diseases including malaria, yellow fever, dengue, encephalitis in humans. In fact; mosquitoes can be considered as the biggest foes of human beings. Worldwide, one child dies of malaria every 30 seconds. On average, one million people die from mosquito-borne diseases every year. (Ref: UNICEF).
That is why all homeowners need to use the best indoor and outdoor mosquito killers to keep their loved ones safe. After all; it takes just one probe from an infected female mosquito to infect a human being!
Even Your Pets are not safe from Mosquitoes
Household pets such as cats and dogs can also get bitten by mosquitoes. In dogs, mosquito bites from an infected female mosquito can lead to filaria or heartworms. The heartworm larvae can impact blood circulation and, in weak or elderly pets, could cause immediate death. This is why pet owners need to use the best indoor mosquito traps and mosquito killers in 2019 to keep their beloved pets safe from these deadly disease vectors.
What Attracts Mosquitoes to Humans?
- Mosquitoes are drawn to the carbon dioxide exhaled by sleeping humans.
- After feeding, they look for shaded vegetation to rest and digest their meals. Next, they seek dense vegetation, damp corners, wet mops, wood and leaf piles, old tires containing water, swing sets/playsets, toys, etc to rest and to mate.
- Once the female mosquito has digested her meals, she seeks water bodies to lay hundreds of eggs.
4 Types of Mosquito Killer Products
There are different kinds of mosquito killers or repellents available in the market these days.
10 Best Mosquito Killer Reviews (August 2019, Updated)
1. Crioxen Indoor Plug-In Bug Zapper
Get full protection from indoor mosquitoes using this easy to use, convenient, effective, durable and eco-friendly mosquito killer for bedroom. It is completely free from chemicals and pesticides and safe for use near pets, babies, etc. Crioxen indoor mosquito zapper comes with a UV lamp and zaps all kinds of household bugs like flies, ants, gnats, etc. It provides a safe and quiet operation so you can use it in the bedroom or living room when watching TV.
- Quiet operation
- Easy to use-simply plug it in a socket.
- Eco-friendly and safe to use around kids and pets.
- The unit kills mosquitoes, moths, flies, gnats and chiggers as well.
- Does not contain harsh chemicals.
- Effective and safe for use in home, office and even on travels.
- The tiny blue light doubles up as night light. You can use it on the front patio/back porch as well.
- A small brush that comes with it makes clean up easy.
- Works great on mosquitoes, chiggers, fruit flies and other flying insects.
- Can shock the user accidentally, particularly if you insert your finger into the unit.
- Tends to leave a mess as flies die on the floor.
2. Brison Indoor Plug In Mosquito Repeller
Protect your home, office or any property with the Brison Indoor Mosquito Zapper. This is a fully safe, easy to use UV light based mosquito killer that will also remove and repel gnats, moths, house flies, fruit flies and other annoying bugs from your bedroom, living room and kitchen, etc.
- Fully safe, odorless and noiseless; the Anti-shock grid makes this device safe around pets and kids.
- Easy to use-plug it in and you can keep your loved ones safe 365 days a year.
- This is a perfect indoor mosquito killer for use in warehouses, restaurants, homes and pantries. Good for taking on travel as well.
- It is very easy to clean. There is a small tray that keeps the trapped dead bodies of bugs. You simply pull the tray out, clean it and you are ready to use the device again.
- This little gadget also works as the soothing night light in children’s rooms.
- No harsh chemicals; the UV light attracts mosquitoes, gnats, moths and flies.
- This little gadget is a must-have for summer months!
- Might not work on very large insects.
3. Aspecteck Electronic Bug Killer
Aspecteck mosquito killer for indoor use is the safe and chemical-free way to zap mosquitoes, flies and other household flying bugs. The unit radiates UV lights which attracts the mosquitoes to it killing them instantly.
- Very easy to install and safe to use. There is a mesh grid that helps protect humans and pets from touching the bulbs or getting shocks.
- Aspectek best mosquito killer for bedroom consists of a tray that catches the dead bodies of zapped insects thereby leaving little or no mess on the floors.
- Being chemical-free, it completely prevents stinky sprays and aerosols. This makes it very safe to use around babies, elderly patients and pets.
- The electric grid is self-cleaning and the unit is very easy to maintain. Tray on the bottom is easy to clean.
- Aspectek mosquito killer also functions as a night light to use in your kids’ rooms or for elderly patients.
- This is the bug zapper designed to repel all kinds of flying insects and summer bugs in factories, restaurants, houses, etc. Success every time is guaranteed and you do not have to use racquets or harsh malodorous chemicals to keep your family safe.
- Safely leave your doors and windows open in summers knowing that Aspectek mosquito killer is doing its duty!
- Replacement bulbs are easy to order.
- It will even zap tiny fruit flies that you didn’t know you had!
- Audible zapping sound
- Short power cord
4. LiBa Bug Killer
LIBA bug zapper emits a 365nm wavelength that kills mosquitoes instantaneously. The warm light source attracts flying bugs to the device where they die upon touching the grid. The best part is that it is completely safe for humans and pets.
- Get rid of fruit flies, gnats, mosquitoes, chigoes and other pesky household bugs instantly.
- More than 1500+ users have benefitted from this device and given it a 5-star rating (at the time of writing this review).
- No chemicals-therefore safe for use around sick, elderly patients, babies, cats, dogs and fish.
- Leaves no mess!
- Comes with a free pack of replacement bugs.
- Thousands of positive reviews! Satisfied users highly recommend this bug zapper that will get all kinds of flying insects within 5 minutes of installation!
- Worth every penny! This unit is easy to clean and you can safely use it inside the house, restaurants, garages, etc.
- Bulbs run out in a short period of time.
- Not so effective in killing houseflies.
5. Sourcing4U The Executioner Zapper
Zap and kill crawling as well as flying insects with this handheld mosquito zapper for indoor and outdoor use. If you are squeamish about bugs, this is the product to invest in. You can easily swat away fruit flies/gnats, house flies, roaches, wasps, bumble bees and mosquitoes with this zapper. This battery operated device works on all kinds of bugs.
- Genuine branded racquet made with sturdy ABS plastic which makes it strong, robust and dependable.
- Single layer technology offers better zap rate.
- Does not harm humans but can zap away the smallest of bugs.
- Use it near your BBQs, picnics, indoors, at the beach and pretty much anywhere where you are troubled by bugs.
- Thousands of satisfied users and positive reviews show that this is one of the best mosquito killers out in the market.
- Kids will have much fun using this fly swatter and bug zapper.
- Safely get rid of yellow jackets that can cause very bad stings.
- Press the button and stop the annoying, biting bugs mid-air!
- This indoor and outdoor mosquito killer from Sourcing4U emits a whine that tends to scare away dogs.
- It is a heavy device.
- Some users felt that it did not kill flies and only ‘temporarily stunned’ them.
6. Flowtron Electronic Bug Killer
This is undoubtedly the best and most advanced mosquito killer for Outdoor use only. However, it covers an area of nearly 1-acre which means your entire property is protected from all kinds of flying bugs.
- At the time of writing this review, over 9000 satisfied users had given the Flowtron BK-40 D mosquito killer trap a 5-star rating on a popular retailer website.
- This best mosquito killer for outdoor use has a non-clogging grid which is easy to clean.
- Flowtron BK electric mosquito killer machine works continuously and gives instantaneous coverage by zapping flies, gnats, wasps, moths and other garden insects.
- Rugged and weatherproof, it can withstand sun, rain, etc.
- The device does not harm the environment.
- At literal pennies a day, you can keep your loved ones safe from mosquito bites without resorting to chemicals.
- The bulb is easy to replace and the device comes with a 2-year warranty. It also works as a security night light.
- It comes with a large extension cord that helps you conveniently cover a large area.
- Use it in your backyard from dusk to dawn and this bug killer will keep you safe from painful and deadly bites.
- For some users, the device stopped working within a few days.
- Some users felt it works better for moths than for mosquitoes.
- Needs cleaning, about once a month. You can use a leaf blower for cleaning the unit off dead bugs.
7. ZAP It BUG Zapper
This is a USB powered mosquito zapper in dual pack combo that zaps flies, moths, mosquitoes and fruit flies instantaneously. It is suitable for killing mosquitoes indoors and outdoors.
- Ultra-fast charging that can work with any phone charger.
- Based on safe LED-based mosquito zapping technology that is completely safe for pets and humans. The racquet has a triple safety layer mesh and an indicator light that tells you when not to touch the device.
- ZAP IT bug zapper come in 3 different sizes.
- Compared to other outdoor and indoor mosquito killers, this racquet hardly makes a noise when zapping.
- Did we mention, it is completely safe?
- The light is ultra bright and works well for day and night time use.
- The large surface area that gets bugs of all sizes.
- Enjoy your backyard picnic again without being bitten.
- Keep your home free from bugs too.
- Zap It! Bug zapper comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The MINI size is not efficient when compared to full-size racquets.
- Many users complained of broken products within a few days of use.
8. Prime House Ultrasonic Pest Repellent
This powerful ultrasonic repellent does not need refills. Simply plug it in and keep your house safe from crawling bugs as well as flying insects. It works on mosquitoes, ants, rodents, squirrels, rats, fleas, etc. Very easy installation-all you need to do is plug it in. You also get a free mosquito repellent bracelet. Covers a large area-nearly 1800 sq.ft. A single unit can protect your living room, bedrooms and kitchen from all kinds of household pests. Perfect for use in the children’s bedroom as it has no chemicals, pesticides or toxic smells. The Ultrasonic pest repellent from Prime House is a must have if you live in heavily wooded areas infested with rodents, flies, mosquitoes, fleas, etc.
- It is completely safe near babies, pets, pregnant women, etc.
- Install it at 6-12 inches height from ground for crawling pests and up to 30-40 inches above the floor for flying insects.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty.
- In very few cases, a couple of units of the pack did not work.
- Does not work on carpenter ants.
9. KAPAS Electric Bug Zapper
KAPAS Bug Zapper consists of Blu-Ray like the light that attracts bugs to it. The high voltage outer grid instantly zaps the mosquitoes and bugs that come towards the light.
- The Zapper has been tested by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and deemed to be safe for outdoor use. It comes with a free hangar.
- Bulbs come with 1-year replacement warranty.
- Kills a lot of bugs; it is must have for the summer season.
- You can also use it during rains but the manufacturers recommend turning it off to extend the life of this mosquito killer.
- If you and your kids are getting bitten during your backyard get-togethers, this is the best outdoor mosquito killer for you-it seriously kills a lot of bugs like gnats, mosquitoes and flies.
- KAPAS Bug zapper is easy to clean. Simply raise the cage by hand and shake it gently to dislodge dead bugs.
- The 2019 upgraded version has better, longer lasting bulbs.
- As reported by some people, the light goes out within a few days.
- It is a wired device so you always need an outlet to plug it in. Kapas bug zapper mosquito killer is not rechargeable.
10. Mosquito Guard Kids Repellent Bands/Bracelets
Where all other mosquito zapping devices need you to swing the racquet multiple times, the Elucto electric bug zapper will get all kinds of flying creatures in one go!
- Fully safe, eco-friendly and non-toxic electric mosquito killer for indoors and backyards. No need to use smelly chemicals and harmful pesticides.
- The racquet comes with 2 AA batteries and a 1-year warranty.
- This easy to use bug zapper from Elucto gets the job done each time! Kids even find it fun to use-simply activate the device manually and keep bugs away! No more painful bites and itchy welts!
- You can easily kill 40-50 gnats and fruit flies within minutes!
- You can even kill spiders and carpenter bees with it.
- Accidentally touching the grid will not shock you but it can Zap and make a frightening noise. Best to monitor kids when using the fly swatter.
- Bugs get cooked and leave a nasty burnt smell.