Imagine coming home after a hectic day at work knowing that you will be welcomed by your pet along with a horde of tiny parasites that have infested your four-legged friend as well as your house.
Not a pleasant thought, right?
Flea – a word that has become synonymous with nuisance – not only affects your pet but also makes your house a breeding ground for different disease-causing microbes. Not to forget the unpleasant sights of these wingless creatures crawling on your bed or sofas and the pain caused by the flea bites.
The many troubles that fleas cause make it extremely important to take immediate measures to get rid of fleas as soon as you discover their presence in your house.
When it comes to getting rid of fleas, treating your home is as crucial as treating your pets. And when it comes to treating your house for fleas, removing fleas from the carpets is the most difficult part. Carpets provide ideal hiding space to these creepy crawlies and make it very difficult to spot them. Fortunately, there are many flea carpet powders available that help restore the peace and hygiene of your house by killing the parasites along with their larvae and eggs.
How Does a Flea Carpet Powder Work?
Flea carpet powders have different mechanisms of action as well as time ranges depending on the active ingredients they contain. A good flea carpet powder kills adult fleas upon contact as well as attracts larvae. When larvae eat the powder, they die and hence, could never reach the adult stage.
Since the market is flooded with flea treatment products for carpets, selecting the best product often becomes a daunting task. Every company boasts about its products and tries to hide any downsides to them. To settle the issue once and for all, here we are reviewing 5 top-rated flea carpet powders of 2019.
Because we want you to buy a flea carpet powder that works!
Table of Contents
Flea Carpet Powder Reviews
Here is a list of the best flea killing carpet powders of 2019:
Adams is a well-known brand name in the flea and tick products industry. Just like all its other products, this flea treatment carpet powder is highly effective against the uninvited guests in your house. It not only kills the fleas, larvae and eggs but also prevents re-infestation for up to a year by disrupting their life cycles.
With more than 90 years of experience in the industry, Hartz surely knows the formula to remove fleas from both your pet and home. The flea carpet powder by Hartz is not only super effective against fleas and ticks at all stages in their life cycles, but also works quicker than most other flea and tick carpet powders.
Another amazing feature of Hartz carpet powder is that it continues to kill the pests for up to a month after one use. Using the Hartz Ultra Guard Flea Carpet Powder also ensures that your carpet(s) are protected from re-infestation for about a year.
If you are looking for an all-in-one product for your home, this flea treatment powder by Enforcer is your best bet.
While the name suggests that this flea powder is for carpets, it can be used on almost every surface; from upholstered furniture to different types of flooring. What makes it even more amazing is its wide-range formula that makes it highly effective against a number of common household pests.
Knowing that killing just the adult fleas mean dealing with the problem only at the surface level, Bio Spot has created a special, wide-ranging formula that also kills eggs, larvae, and pupae along with the adult fleas and ticks.
With its deep penetrating properties, this flea carpet powder reaches to the bottom of the carpet and deep inside the upholstery where the fleas hide and breed. The Bio Spot formula is also non-toxic.
Fleabusters’ Rx for Fleas Plus is the best pick for people who are looking for an infant and pet-friendly flea carpet powder. It has been approved by the Federal Environment Protection Agency for both safety and effectiveness.
Another feature that sets this powder apart from other flea carpet powders is that you don’t need to clean it after application – just sprinkle it on your carpet(s) and get your home protected from fleas for up to a year.
Fleas are highly sensitive to extreme pH values. So, if a flea treatment product is alkaline or acidic, fleas will easily detect it and avoid the area where it is used. The Fleabusters’ powder cannot be sensed by fleas because it has a neutral pH. This means the parasites will unknowingly walk towards the powder and will get killed as soon as they come in contact with it.
The powder gets attached to the bodies of fleas and larvae and kills by dehydrating them. It offers long-term protection by clinging to the fibers of the carpet and does not get removed even by vacuuming.
Using flea powder on the carpet is pretty simple. Follow these steps to effectively treat your house with a flea powder:
- Start by de-cluttering the rooms that need to be treated. This is to ensure that the maximum area of the carpet is exposed.
- Now vacuum the carpet(s) to remove the dust and debris that may have accumulated and can become a protective shield for the tiny parasites
- Sprinkle the powder on the vacuumed carpet(s). While there is no hard and fast rule for this, experts recommend starting from the doorway and then make your way into the room. This is to ensure that the fleas cannot escape while you treat the rest of the room. Make sure to sprinkle the powder in a way that it makes an even layer across the carpet.
- Sweep a stiff brush roughly over the carpet. Although this step is not mandatory when you are using a good quality flea carpet powder, it helps to ensure that the product reaches to the innermost layer of the carpet where the eggs, larvae, and pupae hide.
- Leave the flea powder in the carpet for some time – check the instructions on the package for the time as every product requires a different amount of time to kill the parasites. This is usually not more than 48 hours.
- Vacuum the treated areas properly. You may need to vacuum a couple of times to completely remove the powder and the dead bodies of fleas and their offspring.
Important: Always read the instructions on the package before using any flea carpet powder. This is essential to know things like, the right way of using the product, do you need to take any precautionary measures before using it, if there a need to keep children and pets out of the treated zones, the cleaning requirements, and the time required by the product to do its work.
Criteria Used For Selecting the Best Flea Carpet Powders
There is a wide variety of flea carpet powders available in the market, but not all of them are worth buying. This is why experts suggest doing some research before you pick up a flea treatment product.
Sound like a tedious task?
We knew it and that’s why we carried out whatever research was needed to pick some of the best performing flea carpet powders of 2019. The above-mentioned products have been selected based on the following factors:
- User reviews
- General safety – the products that we have picked have not been known to cause any serious side effects. However, we suggest taking basic safety measures, like wearing gloves and keeping pets and children out of the area.
- Safety of carpet – none of the products mentioned above will cause any damage to your carpet.