There are many reasons why dogs are the best pets and deserve the title of man’s best friend. As a pet parent, not only do you get to enjoy their wonderful company, but you also have the responsibility to take care of your furry friend.
Out of all the responsibilities that come with a pet dog, dealing with fleas is probably the one that pet owners do not like (or detest, if I may say so!).
Fleas and ticks are not only the most common parasites that can infest and infect your best friend’s body, but they can also be dangerous for humans. These ectoparasites carry a number of microorganisms that when transmitted to humans can cause different diseases. This means fleas can put the health of both pets and their owners at risk.
Table of Contents
- Why are Collars the Best Flea Treatment for Dogs?
- How Do Flea Collars Work?
- 6 Best Rated Flea Collars for Dogs – Reviews
- User Guide
- Things to Consider While Buying a Flea Collar
- How to Use a Flea Collar?
- Criteria Used For Selecting the Best Flea Collars for Dogs
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why are Collars the Best Flea Treatment for Dogs?
Flea collars are generally considered a better option than oral medicines and topically-applied formulas because:
- They are comparatively safer – There was a time when flea collars were considered unsafe because they used strong and toxic pesticides. Due to low sales, most of the manufacturers carried out in-depth research and came up with safer, yet stronger and highly effective formulas. A large number of modern flea collars do not cause serious side effects and are considered safer than many oral and topically-applied medications available today.
- They are more convenient – Using a flea collar is very easy; no messy application or tricking your dog into eating their food with a pill. Simply pop a flea collar on your dog’s neck and let it do its work.
- They offer longer protection – Even the most effective flea treatment product can only protect your dog from fleas for a maximum of 30 days. Most flea collars, on the other hand, offer months’ long protection with the best ones lasting as long as eight months.
- They are cost-effective – Most of the dog flea and tick collars are less expensive than oral medication and spot-on treatments, making them more popular among pet owners.
How Do Flea Collars Work?
Made from plastic resin, flea collars are narrow strips that contain powerful insecticides. Depending on the type of insecticide, flea collars can be divided into two categories:
- Collars that emit insecticide in the form of gas to kill fleas. While these collars are less expensive, they are not that effective and only kill the adult fleas that are close to the collar. These types of collars are also not much effective at killing flea larvae and eggs. In addition, they may also cause side effects.
- Collars that continuously release liquid insecticide, which gets absorbed into the natural oils and spreads to the entire body of the pet. These chemicals not only kill fleas, larvae, and eggs, but also repel them by adhering to the dog’s skin and hair. This means your dog is protected against re-infestation for months. These collars are also safer than the gas ones.
While gas collars are less effective and risky, they are more widely used because of their over-the-counter availability and affordable price.
6 Best Rated Flea Collars for Dogs – Reviews
To help dog owners out there, we have prepared a list of the best flea collars for dogs for 2019. These dog flea collar reviews will definitely help you find the right product for your dog.
Available in two varieties for small and large dogs, Seresto is among the top rated dog flea collars due to its effectiveness and availability for small dogs. While other flea collars require a puppy to be at least three months old, Seresto is a safe flea collar for puppies and can even be put on those that are 7 weeks old.
It not only kills fleas, but also works against ticks, lice, and sarcoptic mange. What makes it even more wonderful is the fact that it can also protect your pet from re-infestation by repelling these tiny parasites for up to 8 months.
The collar also kills larvae and eggs of the parasites. Now we know why Seresto is one of the most recommended dog flea collars by veterinarians.
The flea collar has a low concentration and continuous release mechanism. Unlike older formulas that get activated only after a parasite bites a dog, Seresto by Bayer kills fleas, ticks, and lice as soon as it comes into contact with them.
The odorless and non-greasy formula makes this product super convenient. It is also the perfect flea collar for puppies under 12 weeks.
A relatively new addition to the dog flea collar range, Rolf Club 3D is comparatively more affordable than other dog flea collars. It comes in 3 standard (but adjustable) sizes, which makes it perfect for all sizes of dogs.
What distinguishes this product from other flea collars is that it offers wider protection; the 3D collar also repels mosquitoes in addition to fleas, ticks, lice, larvae, and eggs. It’s also hypoallergenic and can be used on dogs with allergies and sensitive skin.
While Most of the ingredients present in the Rolf Club 3D collar are natural, including natural oils and enhanced plant extracts, it also contains fipronil. Fipronil is a non-toxic formula that is completely safe for your pet.
The new German formula provides quick results. It starts killing fleas and ticks within 24 to 48 hours of wearing.
Free of toxic chemicals, hypoallergenic, and water-resistant, the DYEOFF flea and tick collar uses a combination of six highly effective ingredients (most of them are natural) to kill and repel dog fleas and ticks.
While it has a couple of chemical-based compounds, they are not harsh or harmful. This means, the collar can be used on young dogs as well.
Packed with a combination of essential and base oils, the flea collar by Arava is all-natural, gentle, and non-toxic, making it the best flea repellent for dogs. The dog flea collar is also MSDS tested and certified by the FDA. This makes it perfectly safe even for little puppies as well as your own children (as per the manufacturer’s claims).
Its 100% natural ingredients can keep your dog protected for up to 5 months by adding an extra security layer on its body.
The company also provides 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the results.
Important: Arava Flea and Ticks Botanical Collar only repels fleas and ticks. This means it only prevents flea infestation and is not a flea treatment. The manufacturer suggests using it with a flea treatment shampoo for best results.
When it comes to pocket-friendly flea collars, Hartz Ultra Guard Flea and Tick Collar comes at the top of the list.
While it may not provide as quick results as other products in our list, it is a good choice if you are looking to prevent a flea infestation or if the problem is not severe. It has a fresh smell that won’t bother your pet.
The adjustable strap makes the collar perfect for even bigger dogs – it can fit a neck of up to 26 inch.
If you are looking to buy a dog flea collar that works, without breaking your bank, Hartz Ultra Guard Flea and Tick Collar is your best bet.
This flea and tick collar for dogs uses a combination of essential oils to remove as well as repel the creepy crawlies that live on your pet’s body. Therefore, it is the perfect choice for dogs that are sensitive to strong chemicals. The collar works against fleas, ticks, lice, larvae, and mosquitoes.
With an adjustable strap that can stretch up to 25 inches, the GORAUL collar is suitable for small to large dogs. While the collar has been quite popular among pet owners that prefer natural flea treatments because of its effectiveness, the manufacturer offers money back guarantee in case you don’t like it.
With the availability of a huge variety of dog flea and tick collars, picking the right one for your dog can be intimidating, especially if you are a new pet owner. Here’s a brief user guide to help you make the right choice and keep your pooch healthy:
Things to Consider While Buying a Flea Collar
Here are a few things you should consider while buying a flea collar for your dog:
- Chemicals used
- Water resistance
- Period of protection
- Effectiveness – does it only kill or also prevent fleas? Is it only effective for fleas or targets others parasites as well? Does the flea collar kill parasites at all stages of their lifecycle?
How to Use a Flea Collar?
Using a flea collar is very simple. All you have to do is to put it on your dog’s neck and it will start working immediately.
Keep it a little loose so your dog doesn’t feel trapped or suffocated. Also, remember to remove the collar (even if it is water-resistant) before bathing your dog or taking it for a swim as it can reduce its efficiency.
Criteria Used For Selecting the Best Flea Collars for Dogs
We have provided you a list of the best flea collars for dogs so that you can protect your dog from the tiny monsters that live on their bodies and make their lives miserable.
The following factors were taken into consideration while selecting best fleas and tick collars for dogs:
- Effectiveness – All the products that we have picked are highly effective for fleas and ticks.
- Safety – All the flea collars reviewed in this article are non-toxic and generally found to be safe for all dogs. While we have given safety a huge importance, there may be a few exceptions. Therefore, it is advised to always check the packaging to know what chemicals have been used in a collar and read the instructions to avoid any negative effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here, we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions about flea and tick collars for dogs. Take a look to find the answers to your queries or clear any doubts you may have.
6 Best Flea Collars for Dogs of 2019
There are many reasons why dogs are the best pets and deserve the title of man’s best friend. As a pet parent, not only do you get to enjoy their wonderful