Natural and Effective Tick Repellents That Help You Safeguard Your Kids
Table of Contents
- How are ticks dangerous to the children?
- How vital are natural ticks repellent for children?
- Do these natural repellents work?
- Four homemade natural tick repellents
- Most effective commercial repellents for kids
- 1. 100% safe bug spray and insect control
- 2. Insect repellent ticks repel off spray – Best for kids
- 3. All terrain kids herbal armor DEET-free natural insect repellent
- 4. All natural mosquito insect repellent bracelet for kids
- 5. Mosquito repellent bracelet and clip kit by protectus
- 6. Bracelet band wristband bug banned for gnat flea tick
How are ticks dangerous to the children?
Ticks are tiny insects that they can easily be overlooked. Ticks get themselves attached to the skin to suck the blood. They are mainly hidden in the birds’ feathers, and they can also reside on the animal’s skin. They are transferred to the human body if a person lives in the area where animals and birds are present. Children are not safe from the tick bite if they have, somehow, contact with the animals.
That mostly happens when kids play with the pets. Ticks’ bite can lead to serious health issues if the insect is not removed instantly. Children may suffer the diseases like lymph disease and bacterial infection like Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Bull’s-eye rashes on the skin are the symptoms of lymph disease. Professional medical advice is necessary if the disease is severe.
How vital are natural ticks repellent for children?
Not all the ticks are dangerous, but some of their types like “wood ticks” and “deer ticks” should be avoided. They are so tiny that you will not be able to see them on your skin until they bite and get your blood. Suffering infections is evident once they bite you, so it is better to take the measures to avoid the ticks on your skin. Use natural repellents to keep your children safe. Natural ticks are safe and more beneficial than other chemical repellents.
Do these natural repellents work?
Natural repellents are way better than chemical-based repellents. You should not risk your kid’s skin by relying on these chemical-based solutions. Natural repellents and other products available in the market can both work in the same way, but safety is always a priority. There are always fewer health risks if security measures have been taken.
Four homemade natural tick repellents
Tick repellents can easily be made at home. Have a look at the following instructions if you intend to make the tick repellent at home.
1. Essential oil repellents
These safe oil repellents are not only used for the ticks but are also helpful with the other bugs in your home.
Try these on for size:
Things you are required to have while making the repellent are:
- Geranium Bourbon essential oil, citronella essential oil, lemon eucalyptus essential oil, and catnip essential oil. A few drops are needed from all the oils to make a mixture, but you can also use any one of them.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Water (in equal quantity with apple cider vinegar)
- A small amount of Glycerine (to add a scent to the mixture)
How to make it?
Properly mix all the ingredients mentioned above and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
Applying on the exposed body parts or even on the clothes will save you from all the bugs while going out. The mixture smells exquisite.
2. Natural tick killer collar for your pets
Your pets are also not safe from ticks just like your kids. They can be affected by the ticks. Use of repellents is necessary for them as well. You can always make a repellent at your home with natural products such as herbal tick collar.
Things you need:
- Essential oils (lavender, lemon, citronella, clary sage, bergamot, cedar wood, lemon eucalyptus, geranium, sweet orange, and rosemary.)
- Mints; any of peppermint, eucalyptus leaf, clove (NOT clove essential oil), lemon or orange citrus, neem leaf, rosemary, garlic (for the external use), sage, lavender, and lemongrass.
- Apple cider vinegar
How to make?
Essential oils can be used separately, but apple cider vinegar is more effective if any of the herbs mentioned above are mixed in it and sprayed on the dog or cat skin. Apply this solution to cotton pet collar but do not use it in an excess amount. Only a few drops are enough.
These safe homemade repellents have made it easy to protect your pets without using any unnecessary chemical on them.
3. Natural tick repellent candles
Repellent Candles make the place protected with the bugs where they burn. Use the following method to try the trick.
Things you need:
- Beeswax candles
- Essential oils
How to make?
You can place the candles anywhere in the garden or the rooms. Burn them and add a few drops of the mixture of all essential oil in the melted wax (avoid pouring on the flame.)
These candles will not let the ticks, mosquitos and other bugs be in the area where they are kept. Tick repellent candles will show their magic for 3 hours.
4. Plant tick-proof herbs and plants in your garden
The plantation is not only good for our environment, but it also fulfills several household requirements. If you look for organic solutions to make your house bug free, planting tick-proof herbs can be the best choice. Different plants serve a different purpose. The plants you can plant in your garden to keep the ticks away are; Lavender, garlic, pennyroyal, Pyrethrum, sage, beautyberry, eucalyptus, and mint.
Moreover, dried leaves of mint are used in the closets to prevent the beetles that eat clothes. You can keep them in your kitchen. Any of these plants will provide you with tick-proof garden. Other bugs like fleas and moths also hate these plants.
Most effective commercial repellents for kids
It is not easy to choose among various repellents available in the stores. Make sure the insect repellent are registered with Environmental Protection Agency. Repellents should not contain DEET, Permethrin-based tick repellents are safe instead. DEET is harmful not only for kids but also for your soft puppy bellies. According to the consumer reports, some top rated insect repellents are discussed below that are effective for children.
1. 100% safe bug spray and insect control
- The composition of this repellent is from all the natural stuff. If you are confused by various options available and would like a safe and chemical-free repellent for your kid, go for this 100% safe bug spray. It protects your child from the ticks in a very protective way.
- Apply the spray on the exposed body parts when going somewhere out of the house. Don’t let your children play outdoor without using this spray.
Application tips: Be careful while applying, it can irritate your eyes if it is contacted with them.
2. Insect repellent ticks repel off spray – Best for kids
- Insect repellent ticks repel off spray is perfect for all the skin types. Kids do not complain about any dryness or stickiness on the skin. This spray is an organic and DEET-free solution that keeps your children protected from all the nasty bugs. It is just like a scented lotion.
- Spray on your kids’ body when leaving your home. You can also keep them in your bags while going on the holidays.
Application tips: Don’t apply if you already have rashes or wounds. Use on the bruised body parts can be painful.
3. All terrain kids herbal armor DEET-free natural insect repellent
- It is waterproof when applied on the skin and gives protection for 2 to 3 hours. It contains no DEET and is composed of natural oils. It gives a magnificent smell and causes no irritation. That is best for the kids who like to play outdoor and get allergic easily with the insect bites.
- Rub this herbal solution to your kid’s body while he/she is playing in the garden with the pets or whenever he/she goes somewhere.
Application tip: Do not let the solution have a contact with eyes.
4. All natural mosquito insect repellent bracelet for kids
- The stuff of this repellent bracelet contains natural citronella extract and is DEET free. Mosquitoes and ticks do not wander around if the kids have them on their wrist or ankle:
- Wear the bracelet, or you can even hang it in your kid’s play area to avoid bugs.
Application tip: The smell can be strong for little babies.
5. Mosquito repellent bracelet and clip kit by protectus
- This product is made up of DEET-free and natural ingredients, this kit is water resistant and provides the protection for 60 days. There is a refill option if the repelling effect of the bracelet goes away. That is a smart solution if you do not like using sprays. It is totally safe and picture-perfect.
- Wear it on your wrist or ankle wherever you feel it is easy going.
6. Bracelet band wristband bug banned for gnat flea tick
- This bracelet is spring-shaped that is made with natural stuff to provide protection against ticks and fleas. It is light in weight and durable. Its structure makes it fit for everyone. It is very cost effective as there are 15 items in one package. You can share them with your family members. In addition to that, the fragrance of this repellent is magnificent.
- Choose it yourself whether you would like to wear this on the wrist or ankle. Both are comfortable. This bracelet does not irritate at all during your outdoor activities.