Pantry moths are pesky little intruders that infest on dry goods (foods) in your home. They like the dark and dry environment of your kitchen cabinets, cupboards, and shelves, and hence they can be found in the depths of your food storage. Pantry moths also known as Indian Meal Moths can invade your house as they come into your house in food packages. The nearly-invisible eggs hatch into rice-shaped larvae and later transforms into moths that can cause havoc on your goods. Pantry moths are often present in:
- Powdered milk
- Dried herbs
- Pet food
- Dried fruit
- Flours and meals
- Cereals and grains
- Bird seed
You will need to find some Best repellents to keep pantry moths away from your home and property.
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Repellents to Get Rid of Pantry Moth
- 1. Household Essentials CedarFresh Moth Repellent Value Pack
- 2. Enoz Naphthalene Moth Control Balls
- 3. Reefer-Galler SLA Cedar Scented Spray
- 4. Enoz Mothball Packets Lavender Scented
- 5. Richards Herbal Moth Repellent
- 6. Dr. Killigan’s Premium Pantry Moth Traps with Pheromone Attractant
- 7 .Catchmaster Moth and Pantry Pest Trap
- 8. Able Catch Pantry Moth Traps
- Identifying Pantry Moths
- Controlling Pantry Moths
- Preventing Future Infestation
Top 8 Repellents to Get Rid of Pantry Moth
Last update on 2021-07-01
Last update on 2021-07-01
Over the years, people have been using the scent of cedar to repel moths and bugs from households. It is an excellent moth repellent and CedarFresh from Household Essentials is our top overall choice for repelling pantry moths. This value pack comes with 71 solid cedar pieces that can be placed throughout your home from kitchen cupboards to storage spaces to ward off pantry moths and protect your pantry, clothing, rugs, and more. CedarFresh is one of the Best repellents to keep pantry moths away. The value pack includes cedar hanger rings, hang-up boards, cubes, and sachets. The sachets are perfect for kitchen cupboards and drawers and you can place the cubes in strategic spots similar to mothballs.
- Extremely effective in keeping the closet, drawers, storerooms, etc. moth free
- You can also use this cedar moth repellent kit to keep the outdoor utility cabinets critter free
- The aroma of cedar essential oil soothes the indoor environment
- The cedar scent appear to dissipate over time
- Do not place hanging boards directly next to delicate fabrics like velvet, silk as they could easily be snagged
Last update on 2021-07-01
If you think that the pantry moth infestation in your home isn’t at its peak and they could be easily repelled in a budget-friendly way then the Enoz old-fashioned moth control balls are one of the best Repellents to avoid pantry moths disturbing. The basic, though strong-smelling naphthalene balls offer powerful scent. The 2-pound box involves several 8-ounce packages of mothballs; hence, you won’t require to use the whole box at once. The effective scent of mothballs is adequate to ward off pantry moths and other pests as well. This distinct mothball odor soaring from the package is the reason why they are so effective.
- An affordable way to ward off pantry moths
- A strong odor of naphthalene is also effective in repelling other pests like rats, skunks, and other critters
- Sometimes it becomes difficult to fight the strong ‘distinct’ odor
Last update on 2019-11-16
To kill pantry moths and other critters on contact and put a protective barrier on cupboards, storerooms, closets, and rugs, the best choice is this cedar scented spray. The best part about this water-based moth repellent spray is that it is non-staining and safe to use on rugs and clothing. However, it is chemical compound so it is advised to use caution around kids and pets. The major ingredient of this spray is pyrethrins, and according to many users, it is extremely effective in killing pantry moths. This is one of the Best repellents to keep pantry moths away, especially when you have an existing moth infestation. This is a simple solution to eradicate the problem.
- Easy application makes it a good choice for far-to-reach places like corners and depths of the storeroom and cupboards
- There is no lasting odor so your home will retain its natural essence in a few days
- Chemical-based so use caution when using around pets and children
- Many users have complained that they did not feel safe using this product after reading the label about ‘precaution’ like wear:
- Face protection
- Eye protection
- Protective gloves
- And avoid breathing fumes, etc.
Last update on 2021-07-01
If you are looking for an alternative to cedar, lavender-scented products are quite popular these days. Enoz lavender scented mothballs not only wards off pantry moths but also keeps your house smell fresh and lively. Each mothball packet contains two lavender-scented tablets that dissolve over time. Unlike the previous Enoz product we discussed that has a distinct odor, the cupboards, towels, clothes, and other items will have a light lavender scent. Many users have praised its pleasant aroma and it effectively keeps pantry moths and other critters away.
- These mothballs kill pantry moths, carpet beetles, cloth moths, and other critters
- They also kill larva and eggs
- These lavender-scented mothballs are not very long-lasting, hence they will need to be replaced once they dissolve
- They are expensive as compared to regular mothballs
Last update on 2019-11-16
If you are concerned that chemical moth repellents are harmful to your loved ones then you can look for something that is pleasantly-scented and effectively repels pantry moths and other critters from your home. Richards herbal moth repellent is a popular choice amongst households for warding off critters and bugs. This moth repellent is an aromatic blend of herbs that smells great and is effective in warding off pantry moths. Each sachet features a blend of cloves, thyme, rosemary, and peppermint. You can place them in kitchen cupboards, drawers, storeroom, closets, and kitchen shelves as well. These sachets work best in enclosed areas.
- The single package contains 72 sachets that are enough to ward off every corner of your house from moths and critters
- Compared to the smell of other popular moth repellents like lavender, Richards Herbal moth repellent is more pleasant smelling
- Don’t kill the moths and pests and after some time they get used to the scent
If you looking for organic, toxin & residue-free, and money saving devices that are effective for getting rid of pantry moths, there are some Best repellent traps to deal with pantry moths available in the marketplace.
Last update on 2021-07-01
Dr. Killigan’s Premium Pantry Moth Traps are designed to work efficiently. You can confidently put these traps anywhere there traps are found in your house. It is recommended to keep these traps in open spaces where there is cross ventilation to maximize the airflow and increase their effectiveness. The trap is formulated with a powerful pheromone attractant that lures out the pantry moths and other critters and its top-quality glue ensure the moths don’t anywhere. The pheromone attractant especially attracts the male moths thereby disrupting the fertilization process. These traps assure full protection of your family’s health as there is no residue left, no harmful fumes or scent. They are made of toxin and insecticide-free ingredients. These traps provide a simple fix to the irritating issues. These organic traps help preserve your food.
- Effective in getting rid of pantry moths
- Pheromone attractant is already in the glue; you don’t need any food as bait
- Has more than one design to choose from
- It helps stop the cycle of cross-contamination of your food, thereby preventing future infestation
- These traps are only effective in killing adult moths, you still have to look out for eggs and larva
Last update on 2021-05-25
Catchmaster Moth and Pantry Pest Trap is pre-baited, heavy-duty, and ready to use a non-toxic trap for moths and pests. What makes this one of the Best repellent traps to deal with pantry moths is that it is safe to use around pets and children and it is disposable. The pheromones incorporated in the traps lure the males in. There are no difficult instructions on how to set the trap. And because they are properly packaged, they can be used up to three months making them wallet-friendly. All you have to do is set them up and keep looking if they are attracting the moths. The best time to set this trap is during nighttime. Moreover, there are no health implications of using this panty moth trap. These traps will help you catch and kill the pesky intruders that are destroying your dry goods.
- Already pre-baited
- It is long lasting
- The glue is heavy duty and has the capacity to catch many moths
- They are safe to use around children and pets
- They are highly effective and are made from natural ingredients – No chemical additives and hence, are easy to dispose
- Some users have complained that the scent is not strong enough to attract the critters
No products found.
If you looking to get rid of the pantry moths the easy way these insecticide-free, non-toxic moth traps will help you eradicate the infestation without posing any poisoning to your pets and kids. These traps are cardboard coated on the side with heavy-duty glue. This trap is an effective solution for moth control as once the moths are stuck to the glue they remain there until they die. Able Catch moth traps work in two ways making them one of the Best repellents to keep pantry moths away. You can hang them using the tab hooks or place them on the floor. This way you can lure in the moths on both the ground and in the air. The traps are pre-baited with pheromone and will continue trapping moths for about three months. The package includes six traps that you can use across your home depending on the degree of infestation.
- It catches different species of moths
- It works effectively over long periods
- It can be used hanging in the air or on the ground
- It is non-toxic
- There is no real issue with this trap apart from its design. You have to ensure that the position you set it up it is good for satisfactory results
Identifying Pantry Moths
Have you ever noticed webbing along the edges or corners of food packaging, weird clumps in old flour bags, or rice that seems to be moving? If the answer is yes, then you have pantry moth infestation in your house. The following are the indications that you have pantry moths in your house.
- Flying Moths:
You may find small, brownish moths hovering around your kitchen cabinet and pantry, particularly when the lights are on, during nights.
In corners and on top of the cabinets, you may also see clinging webby cocoons.
- Larvae in Home:
Look for rice-like creatures hanging or moving on the walls, often near the ceiling. The larvae are looking for a dry dark environment in order to pupate and turn into moths.
- Larvae in Food:
When the eggs are hatched, the larvae tend to spin webs in the infested food. If your food appears to move, dispose it as soon as possible. You can easily spot whitish worms and clumps of webbing in the infested food. They start out small but can grow up to 2/3” long with brown or black heads. And if you come to see cast-off skins near the food products, it means the worms have moved away to another food source.
Controlling Pantry Moths
You will probably require Repellents to avoid pantry moths disturbing. However, you can take the following actions right away because pantry moths can reproduce several times a year converting your home into a suitable nesting place.
Eliminate the Source:
Pantry moths first come in contact with your house when you bring home an infested package with larvae and eggs. Find out which package is infested and check for other packages as well whether they are infested. Wrap the packages tightly in a plastic bag and either burn it or dispose it far away from your neighborhood.
Engage in Thorough Cleaning:
Cleaning is crucial and we can’t stress enough how carefully you need to clean your pantry. You will need to-
- Remove and throw away shelf liners
- Throw away all the grains
- Dispose of any food packages that can’t get wet like bags, boxes. The pantry moths will lay eggs in any corner, including the folds of the packages. If you are having trouble getting rid of the infestation, just go ahead and throw away everything; there is nothing much you can do about it.
- Wash all unopened cans and jars in soapy, hot water. Invade all the cracks and corners using a toothpick to check for the larvae or eggs.
- Thoroughly wash the inside of the cabinets or pantry with soap and water and then with a dilute bleach solution.
- Wipe the surface of the shelves, cabinets, and pantry with a mixture of peppermint oil, white vinegar, and water to kill eggs and repel moths.
- If you have pegboards or adjustable shelves, use small needle, pin or toothpick to clean out the little peg holes. Peg holes are notorious for collecting webs and eggs.
- If you recently used a vacuum cleaner to clean your house during the infestation, immediately replace the bag and thoroughly clean the vacuum.
- Last but not least, clean your garbage bin with a disinfectant or chemical.
Pre-baited sticky traps are an excellent way to ward off pantry moths. Pheromone is a scent emitted by female moths to attract male moths. The artificial scent is good enough to lure in the male moths and hence disrupting the fertilization process. However, sticky traps will not eliminate the moths completely but will help you monitor the infestation. There are some Best repellent traps to deal with pantry moths. You can check Amazon for some top-quality sticky pheromone traps.
Treat Suspect Food:
You should be inclined to trash anything that looks suspicious; however, you can also treat certain food items by baking them in the oven or putting them on the stove. Moreover, you can store the food in the freezer as well. You can sieve food items like white flour, grains, and others to remove any eggs or larvae.
Avoid Sprays (if possible):
Avoid using chemical sprays near food products as it will compromise the authenticity of the food.
Give it Time:
You have to give it time, especially in case if the pantry moth infestation is severe. It can take around six months to get rid of the eggs, larvae, and moths around your home. Before you restock your pantry, wait and examine the area. Double-check that the infestation is tackled.
Preventing Future Infestation
- Refrigerate food, keep the grain products in the fridge
- Scatter bay leaves around your pantry, it is said to be a natural moth repellent
- Clean cans and jars
- Buy smart, do not keep stocking up your pantry
- Store smart, use air-tight containers to store flours, grains, and cereals
- Organize your pantry by getting rid of packaged food products that are past their expiration date
There are several effective pantry moth repellents available in the market that includes sprays and traps. From chemical to non-chemical solutions, there are hoards of moth repellents available. After thorough research and going through customer reviews, we have compiled you a list of Best repellents to keep pantry moths away.
It is better to avoid the infestation in the first place rather than struggling to ward off these annoying insects. If you properly store and organize your pantry, keeping the area clean and sanitized, pantry moths will not be attracted towards your kitchen.
Read More Topics: