Roaches are not exactly pleasant. Known to invade dirty places, roaches are frequently found in apartments – and it may not be your fault. Neighbors can be dirty, leaving food about, not cleaning their homes, and living like pigs.
No one wants to be this person.
But there are ways to start eliminating these pests when you’re the root cause.
But before reading through this guide, I’d like to show you the something..
How to Get Rid of Roaches in an Apartment
Your apartment is where you live your life. A warm bed made just right with comfy pillows emitting a sense of relaxation. That oasis can quickly be ruined the moment a roach skitters across the sheets.
Or your face.
Getting rid of roaches in an apartment can be difficult because it may not be your own doing. You don’t have control over your neighbor’s cleanliness, but there are measures you can take to lessen the infestation or stop it dead in its tracks.
Clean from Top to Bottom
Start by cleaning your apartment from top to bottom. This means moving furniture and cleaning under it, too. All food items and leftovers need to be disposed of or sealed and put into the refrigerator as soon as possible.
Dishes need to be done pronto, too.
Daily cleaning and proper food storage is the key to eliminating an infestation and preventing one. But once an infestation has taken place, it gets a little trickier.
Roaches infest cars and homes for three reasons:
And roaches love water. Access to water will allow for the perfect breeding ground for roaches. The worst part is that roaches can cause humans to suffer from:
- Food poisoning
- Skin rashes
Why? Roaches are dirty. Period. Roaches carry all sorts of bad bacteria around, and this can find its way into your food – yuck.
Hide and Seek
Roaches are smart, and you need to first locate the infestation before taking action. A flashlight is the tool for the job, and is the absolute best tool for spotting these fast, stealthy pests. Key areas where roaches are attracted to are:
- Behind the refrigerator
- Cabinet crevices
- Closet corners
- Under the sink
Eliminating Roach Infestation in Apartment: 5 Simple Ways That Work
Action is needed to kill the roaches. One key thing to remember is that all gaps that can be caulked should be caulked. Entry points, such as gaps and holes, must be sealed. This will prevent future infestations and will help keep roaches at bay.
Ready for a few actionable measures to take? I am.
- Gel Bait: Fast, effective and affordable. Gel bait can be used to kill roaches. The bait is a little different from other baits, like ant bait, for example. Offered in a tube, place the gel along baseboards and in cracks and crevices where roaches frequent.
- Bait Stations: Called “roach hotels,” bait stations attract roaches that feed on poison and bring it back to their nest where they infect others who will die. Bait stations are not visually appealing and they don’t kill an entire nest, but they will reduce the number of roaches drastically.
- Boric Acid Powder: Boric acid is a go-to product that is great for killing roaches, ants and numerous other pests. A chemical mixture, place the boric acid in areas where roaches frequent, and keep out of reach of pets and children. This powder is deadly to roaches and will kill them slowly. This is a long-term solution that takes quite some time to prove effective.
- Roach Bombs: A bomb (or fogger) will release a mist into the air with insecticides that will enter the air, killing roaches quickly. This is an annoying method that will require you to be out of the home for 4 hours, and all pets and living things need to be out of the home, too.
- Pest Management: When all else fails, you can call a pest management company, or better yet, call your apartment’s front office. Apartments often have you pay monthly for pest control, so call and file a complaint so that an exterminator can come and remedy the problem for you.
Through persistence, you’ll be able to eradicate the roaches in your apartment. I do recommend calling your apartment’s association first before taking any action to try and get rid of the roaches for free.
get rid of roaches