Technology knows no bounds. Certainly not when it comes to developing new technologies for keeping pests and rodents away from your home. Wondering what’s new in the industry nowadays? Well, to make handling the rodents easier, they have come up with electronic rodent repellers. Yes, you no longer have to worry about your pets or toddlers getting hurt by mouse traps.
These latest devices claim to keep rodents away from your home by generating ultrasonic waves in air. The rodents cannot tolerate the sound generated by the waves and run away. Getting rid of these stubborn creatures just by plugging in a device sounds too good to be true. Right? Well, read along to know how effective these devices can be.
How electronic rodent repellers work?
Popularly known as Ultrasonic Rodent Repellers, these devices can be plugged into any outlet of your house, preferably where mice cause trouble. The electricity triggers the device and it releases ultrasonic sounds which escape human ear but if rodent comes in its path, it leaves the place.
How to put an electronic rodent repeller to use?
Here are some guidelines you should follow to use an electronic rodent repeller to get your money’s worth out of it:
- Plug it in into an outlet which isn’t obstructed by a piece of furniture so that the waves can reach the rodents directly.
- Make sure that the area you place it in is used by rodents, otherwise, the device will be of little use.
- Ensure that the device is switched on. Check if the indication light is on and you can hear the high-pitched sound it produces.
- It will be more effective to place traps along with the repellers because the ultrasonic waves make the rodents scurry around and they lose track of where they are going. This lack of awareness in the rodents might make them fall for the traps you’ve set.
Plug them in, and witness the magic unveil!
Perks of using electronic rodent repellers
Today, you have a quick-fix for everything, and to get rid of tedious rodents, which cause a massacre into your house, go for ultrasonic rodent repellers.
Various advantages of using electronic repellers are:
- They are considered very effective against troublesome rodents such as rats, mice, cockroaches and some insects as well.
- It is always gross to sweep out the corpses of mice, rats and other rodents. These devices don’t kill the rodents but shoo them away. Hence, you are saved the trouble of excavating dead rodents from difficult-to-reach spaces and throwing them away.
- A basic stand-alone repeller consumes less than 2 units of electricity in a month, making the device extremely economical.
- If you are not going for electronic rodent repellers just because you are concerned about the harm the ultrasonic waves may cause to your family members, relax. The ultrasonic waves are only intolerable for rodents and insects. Humans are completely immune to its effects.
- The waves generated are low frequency waves. Therefore, even your pet dogs, cats, birds and fish cannot hear them.
- These devices can be plugged in anywhere at home, in warehouses, industries and other work units.
- They are extremely easy to carry and handle due to their compact design.
- An added advantage of using electronic rodent repellers is that they are eco-friendly. Yes, they release no fumes, no chemicals, or harm the environment in any way.
Are these devices as effective as they claim to be?
Above mentioned perks of going for electronic rodent repellers do make them sound like THE solution for all your troubles, but they to have a downside to them. Here are some pointers you might want to consider before inventing in them.
- First issue you might face with these devices is where to plug them in. They need to be plugged in at a spot from which the rodents come in contact with the ultrasonic waves directly. The outlets have to be low and should not be blocked by furniture or any other object.
- The ultrasonic waves they release are of extremely low frequency, therefore, if any object or furniture comes in the way, the waves become ineffective. The range of these waves isn’t much either.
- The rodents tend to become accustomed to the sound of the waves and, hence, the devices are left of no use.
- Even if you find the right spot to plug the repeller in, you have to be sure if rodents travel in that area. If not, the device will be of little use.
- They are devised to work indoors, so, if you have rodents which travel outside as well, electronic rodent repellers will not be of much use.
- These repellers can only be used when the problem isn’t huge. If the situation of rodents in the household, warehouse, or industry is worse, these repellers will be of little use. You will have to opt for professional help in that case.
- Even if you feel that the repellers are having an effect on the rodent situation of your premise, you will have to invest I many units to cover each and every area. Hence, these units might turn out to be a costly affair.
- The users who have tried and tested the device testify that though the number of rodents have decreased with the use of electronic rodent repellers, it hasn’t been able to eliminate them completely.
Now, all you have to do is, weigh the above advantages and disadvantages on a scale to know whether you should invest in an electronic rodent repeller or not.
If you are not convinced with the ultrasonic waves shooing away your mice, here are a few alternates to help you get rid of the rodents:
* Strong Smell
Strong smell is a great way to keep the rodents from infesting your home. Mice detest the smell of ammonia and strong chemicals. And the ideal location to keep the out of the house is to place a strong smell at the entrance itself. There are various ways you can make your house smell good and keep the rodents away:
- Moth Balls: Moth balls have a very strong scent and it keeps away every tiny creature that bothers you, whether it is rodents or insects. Only concern with moth balls is that you should place them out of the reach of toddlers and curious pets as they are toxic.
- Keep in mind to replace the moth balls as soon as the smell dissipates.
- Ammonia: Ammonia is another effective agent of smell that works wonders in keeping the mice at bay. The mice mistake the smell of ammonia as the urine of their predators and they prefer keeping a safe distance from the territory of their predators.
- You can also use ammonia to clean mouse droppings and ensure that they do not come back. Ammonia is a good cleaning agent as well. Like moth balls, you should be cautious to keep it out of children’s and pets’ reach. Make sure you use ammonia in a well ventilated space.
- Fabric Softener Sheets: If you yourself cannot tolerate the smell of ammonia and moth balls, fabric softener sheet are meant for you. These sheets smell fresh and can be places almost anywhere.
- Peppermint oil: If you hit the right chords, peppermint oil is the best solution for all your rodent troubles. Take small cotton balls and soak them with peppermint oil. Place the cotton balls at spaces affected by frequent rodent infestation.
- Mice leave pheromone trails as they move to let the other mice know where to go. You can effectively mask that trail with peppermint oil. You can also find out where they are dwelling by following the droppings. Place a few cotton balls on those spaces as well.
- Make sure that you re-soak the cotton balls with peppermint oil once in a month.
- You can also go for certain mouse repellents available in online which are a mixture of plant fibres and natural oils which are pleasant to smell for humans but are intolerable for rodents. These are the best organic agents to drive mice away, keeping the freshness in your home intact. These repellents are available in form of pouches which can be placed anywhere, are affordable, and last longer than any other agent discussed above.
- Another great option for you can be the mixture of organic oils. These organic oil mixes are crafted specially to repel rodents. Soak cotton balls with them and forget about rodents for the coming 6 months as these oils are tried and tested for doing their job well.
Getting rid of rodents just with smell does sound like the perfect solution. Then again, it has its own flaws:
- One major drawback of this method is that this works only if your house is not already infested by rodents. If not, the method is of little use.
- It is very important to keep the agents out of the reach of curious toddlers and pets. The consumption of these substances might prove harmful.
- One has to refresh the smell from time to time for better results, because as the smell dissipates, rodents will find their way inside the house.
- Smell, if not placed in the right area and at the right time is not of any use. Therefore, do not wait for rodents to attack your house before taking measures to repel rodents.
Sealing All the Openings
Sealing all the openings in your house which can invite these nasty creatures in is a great way to protect your home from the einfestation.
Rodents are determined and stubborn creatures which do not let go of any opportunity of entering your home. They are always on the lookout for holes and cracks in the walls or foundation, broken tiles, cracked sidings, or a tiny hole in the wood or fibre glass, from which they can chew their way in.
They set up their abodes in places which are quiet and peaceful. They opt for relatively dark spaces to stay away safe from predators. Another parameter they look for in their hiding space is if it is closer to food. Closets, furniture, shelves, attics, behind baseboards, basements and other nooks and crannies of your house serve as their resting spaces.
If you find mice droppings, chewed paper, and chewed food in different parts of the house, your house is infested by mice. Now you have no option but to get rid of them as soon as possible to protect your family from diseases.
You can do so by-
- Keeping a check on the roof tiles, fibre sheets and sidings and making sure they are not they are not cracked. Mice look for such openings to chew their way into your home.
- Keeping the spaces around wires and sewer pipes sealed. These pipes and wires lead outdoors, if left unattended, they can bring the mice in.
Why is it important to get rid of the rodents?
Not only do they make a mess of your house, mice can turn out to be a serious health hazard to mankind. Various deadly diseases such as Lyme disease, Plaque, and Colorado tick fever. Mice do appear cute to many but they will not appear anywhere near cute to you when you will know the places they have been to before they enter your house. Mice travel through drains, garbage bins and other shabby places. Therefore, they carry pathogens from all over of these dangerous diseases. They urinate and defecate at certain places to make space their own. They are nasty little creatures, which are better miles away from where you live.
Another issue with the mice is their teeth. Mice cause a lot of damage by chewing wood and other hard things to keep their teeth filed. It is very difficult to control the mice if they have found a place to chew things in. they can get into cupboards, shelves and even walls. They can chew wires which can lead to short-circuits and faulty wiring.
Mice carry a lot of germs with them and can contaminate food and such surfaces, leading to lethal diseases amongst humans.
Is Electronic Rodent Repeller A Good Solution?
Technology knows no bounds. Certainly not when it comes to developing new technologies for keeping pests and rodents away from your home. Wondering what’s