Coyote and wolves look similar in appearance and body color, but possess different charactertistics. This former animal is found in Eastern parts of the country and is witnessed in different colors, including light brown, red and gray. The size of this animal would be in the size of the famous dog breed, i.e., German Sheppard.
Table of Contents
Identification of Coyote
This animal is two feet tall and four feet long. The weight of this animal is between 20 to 55 pounds. Coming to its appearance, it has long ears, sharp face and a black-tipped tail pointed towards the ground. You can identify the aggressiveness of this animal by taking a look at its tail. When its tail is horizontal, it signifies that the animal is fuming. With its thick fur, it looks larger than its actual size. Due to its confusing appearance, many assume it to be a fox over a coyote. However, three key traits will help you identify coyote. The first trait is that coyotes keep the tail pointed towards the ground. The second trait is that foxes have a different color on their legs and the rest of the body, whereas coyotes have the same color throughout the body. The exciting thing to which you need to pay attention is its tail. The tail color of coyote is black tipped.
The sounds made by this animal are horrifying and are easily identified in urban and rural areas. The howling sound made by coyote sounds like a demon weep. It is intimidating to listen to the voice of coyotes during night times.
It uses vocalization to communicate with its peers. Moreover, the vocalization differs from one coyote to another and howling is the way used by this animal to communicate. The howling sound differs from male to female coyotes. These animals yelp, yip, bicker, and fight. If coyote bark, then you need to be very careful since this sound means that you need to stay back from them. When the communication between an adult and a baby coyote is happening, it comes with a huffing sound. If the vocalization of the coyote is calm and quiet, then it is a baby coyote.
Coyotes would prey on anything and would wait patiently for the right opportunity to hunt. Coyotes eat fruits, vegetables, livestock and also feed on garbage. These animals will attack small pets and make them as their easy prey. To eliminate these pests, you would need to fence your yards.
Habits and Facts About Coyotes
Not many people are aware of the facts of a coyote. These small and beautiful species have the ability to take advantage of any situation. Few of the interesting facts that you need to know about this animal include:
- Coyotes have a good sniffing ability. This trait of the animal is used to hunt for food and avoid getting prone to threatening predators. The quality of sensing smell lets this animal even to find the prey that is lying under the snow.
- Coyotes can make different noises. One can learn about its mood by clearly hearing its voice modulation. The vocalizations are used by this animal to communicate with its counterparts. In addition to weeping in the high pitch, these animals will also howl, yelp, bark, growl, squeal, and wail. When a family is yelping together, it produces a terrifying and intimidating noise. These animals wander from sunlight to dark. Interestingly, they have the ability to respond quickly to any fire or siren at any time.
- To produce less noise in the forest or other places while walking, these animals will walk on their toes to avoid the other animals to detect and kill them.
- Similar to dogs, these animals also urinate to mark their places.
- When they are giving birth to baby coyotes, they make a hole and sit in them
- Coyotes go in a group to hunt animals. At least two to three coyotes will be together to hunt for their food.
- Coyotes prey on insects, mice, fruits, lizards and other foods
- Coyotes are blessed with the ability to identify the noise of hunters who are coming to hunt them from a mile away.
- This animal has the ability to run at a speed of 40 miles per hour
- The wild enemies of this animal are bears, wolves, and humans. Coyotes are good at swimming, and they can escape from these species to protect themselves. They pant to keep their body temperature normal.
- Coyotes hunt rodents to have their favorite meal every day. In order to control rodents in your places, you can have coyotes with you. Ranchers keep coyotes with them to protect their fields from rodents and rabbits.
- Most widely found in plain regions and southwest areas, coyotes are migrating from one place to another due to deforestation. This species is widely found in North and Central American. Coyotes will not have any limitation of residing only in rural areas; these are also found in urban areas.
- Coyotes in eastern areas look little different in their appearances compared to the western areas. In western areas you find this animal to be looking more like a wolf. The coyotes found in eastern regions are famously called as coywolf.
- Coyotes are not confined to preying on rodents. These animals are omnivores. They feed on fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods. If you would like to keep this animal as your pet, it is important for you to clean the entire yard that is surrounded by fruits and vegetable trees.
- A pair of coyotes stay faithful with its partners. There are a few coyotes’ pairs which will live 10 years together without parting ways or cheating each other.
- Coyotes will urinate on their food. Few researchers state that they urinate to state that this food belongs to them.
- This animal belongs to the family of wolves, dogs, jackals, etc.
- Look similar to wolves and are from North America.
What do Coyotes Eat?
- The behavior of coyotes can be identified by the way they hunt for their prey. They hunt for the food that is widely found in that particular location.
- Consume a carnivorous diet. They have ample flexibility in choosing the food they eat. The food they eat depends on the time and location they are residing. They also feed on insects, rodents besides eating fruits and vegetables. Owing to their flexible diet, they are capable enough to survive in any region and habitat.
- Prey on rabbits, rodents, deer, lizards, snakes, birds, fish, insects, small mammals, etc. In addition, they can have hard seals and fishers as food.
- Fruits and vegetables gormandized by this animal, include carrots, watermelon, blackberries, blueberries, apples, etc.
- Eat a corpus of dead animals. In addition, they love to hog the meat of fresh animals.
- Consume grass, especially green wheat blades and also eat grains, including corn, wheat, sorghum, etc.
- Diet of this animal changes from one climatic condition to another. They easily adapt to any kind of weather condition. In the winter season, they survive on the dead remains of various animals and the rest of the time; they would hunt for snowshoe hare and deer. In summer, they live on rodents. In addition, they also consume vegetables and fruits to keep their tummy full. In dry conditions, they like to eat hydrated food items like melons. They also look for cattle tank or dig the mud to quench their thirst and stay hydrated.
- The attack on livestock and poultry food. These are considered destructive pests by farmers. So, the farmers who have livestock should not keep this animal as their pets to safeguard their fields.
- Coyotes are widely found in almost every city since they are not confined to living in a particular weather condition. These animals feed on garbage and pet food. The owners of these animals do not need to keep a close eye on them, unlike dogs and cats. These animals attack dogs that enter into the space of their master.
- Coyotes can survive even in deserted areas. They live on lizards, snakes, rabbits, birds, and other small mammals.
- These animals will go for hunting in a group whenever they are hungry in the day and night times
- Coyotes will attack the animals from the front by deeply cutting its throat and followed by head
- If there is excess food with them, they do not hog the entire food instead would keep the rest of the food for later use
What to Do When You Encounter Coyote in the Garden?
In the recent times, coyotes have started joining urban life. The population of this animal is increasing in urban and suburban areas. However, when you witness this wolf-like creature, you should not get panic. These animals are mostly spotted on the roads and other urban areas during spring and summer season. In summer, they go on hunting for food. You can see them walking on the streets or in your backyard or garden. These animals prey on rodents. However, there are chances of eating your pets like cats and dogs when they see them. You can take a relieving breath that they rarely attack humans. Few of the tips you can take to stay away from coyote attacks include:
- Use a noise-making tool when you take your dog for a walk:
If you are taking your dog out for walking, you should have a whistle or other noise-making tools with you. Coyotes would get panicked by hearing the loud noises. There are other tools that you can carry with you. These include pepper sprays, air horns, and squirt guns.
- Look like a big one:
When you see a coyote coming closer to you, make a loud noise and wave your hands until the coyote runs away. It is important to note that you should not start running when you see a coyote. Despite making noise, even if you see this animal coming closer, then try to scare it until it leaves.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
- Keep the garden area clean:
You need to empty the garbage cans from time to time and make sure to keep the garden area clean and neat. You should not leave any kind of food in the garden since this attracts cats and birds. When coyote spots cats or other animals in your garden, it would jump into your garden and attack those animals. It is also recommended to have fencing around the garden, especially when you have pets in your home. You also need to have blinking holiday lights to scare this animal.
- Do not let your pets without your supervision:
You should not leave the pets along wandering in your garden during the day and night times. If you see a coyote in your garden, you need to stand tall and make noises to make it run away. You should not let this animal enter into your garden. If you notice that this animal is coming closer, you can grab a branch and throw it on the coyote.
Are Coyotes Dangerous?
Coyotes do not like to maintain contact with humans. However, with the slow extinction of this species, they are entering into the human world. These unwanted guests are found in the garden areas of the homes. These animals feed on juicy fruits and vegetables. On top of this, they also prey on rodents, dogs, and cats. You can keep them as pets to get rid of rodents. These are an important part of an ecosystem. Rather than getting intimidated by these animals, you can make use of them. However, when you see them coming into your garden space, you need to find ways to get rid of them. These shy creatures are sometimes dangerous. You can see the aggressive nature of these animals, especially while hunting for their prey and while protecting their babies.
These animals will attack cats, dogs, and young children. When they are attacking your pets or grazing in your garden, you should not kill them rather make noise to make them run away.