Wasps may be beneficial to farmers as they eat crop-destroying insects. However, these bugs are not your friends. Most wasps are quite aggressive and can sting you multiple times. This can be very dangerous, especially if you are allergic to wasp venom, which can lead to anaphylactic shock.
Summer is the time when these insects make their home in your gardens and backyard. If you let them come, wasps, hornets and yellow jackets can invade your nearby outdoor space. To prevent that from happening, we have reviewed the top-rated wasp traps available in the market.
Table of Contents
- 7 Best Wasp and Hornet Trap Product Reviews
- Best Indoor Wasp Trap
- 1. RESCUE! Non-Toxic TrapStik For Wasps
- Best Fan Wasp Trap
- 2. Hoont Gnat Fly Trap
- Best Double-Chamber Bait Trap
- 3. RESCUE! Reusable Trap for Wasps, Hornets, and Yellowjackets
- Best Disposable Yellowjacket Trap
- 4. RESCUE! Non-Toxic Disposable Yellow j=Jacket Trap
- Best Reusable, Multiple-Entry Trap
- 5. Aspectek Trap for Bees, Wasps, Hornets, Yellowjackets
- Best Adhesive Tape Trap
- 6. Rescue FT3-SF8 Visilure Fly Tape
- Best Solar Powered Bait Wasp Trap
- 7. Hoont Solar Powered Outdoor Wasp Trap
- Best Baits For Wasp or Hornet Traps
- Criteria for Selecting the Best Wasp Traps
7 Best Wasp and Hornet Trap Product Reviews
Best Indoor Wasp Trap
An occasional wasp may find itself inside your home if your windows are open, but you don’t need a wasp trap for that. An indoor wasp trap is for enclosed spaces which wasps and hornets can inhabit like barns, greenhouses, chicken coops and garages.
RESCUE! Non-Toxic Trapstik for Wasps is one of the best kinds of wasp trap that is good for indoor use. It only has a slight lure that attracts the wasps inside but does not attract more from the outside. The adhesive glue on all side makes sure wasps get stuck and cannot escape. They also come with a bird guard so that no unsuspecting feathery critters get stuck in the trap.
RESCUE Non Toxic Trapstik for Wasps, Mud..
- Redesigned! now with bird guard feature; made in USA
- Capture the queen, empty the nest
- Lures multiple pest species; works spring through fall
- Chemical-free; uses appealing colors and patterns; wasps get Stuck to surface…
Best Fan Wasp Trap
The Hoont mosquito and gnat fly trap works on the simple principle of attracting flying insects, including gnats, wasps, hornets, mosquitoes and beetles with the help of UV light. Most insects find it hard to resist artificial light and start making their way to the trap. The fan inside then sucks them into the trap, where they eventually die from dehydration. You can dispose of the wasps by simply removing the tray which comes with the trap and is used to dispose of the remains.
Hoont Mosquito Killer and Gnat Fly Trap
- EFFECTIVE & POWERFUL – The Hoont Mosquito Killer Trap features a bright UV bulb…
- NO CHEMICALS, NO PESTICIDES & ODOR FREE – Get rid of all flying insects and bugs…
- QUIET OPERATION & SAFE – The Hoont Mosquito killer and Gnat Fly Trap is…
- WEATHERPROOF & WATERPROOF – Perfect for indoors or outdoors. Can be used at…
Best Double-Chamber Bait Trap
RESCUE! Reusable Trap for Wasps, Hornets, and Yellowjackets contains the best wasp trap attractant that specifically targets hornets, yellowjackets and other variety of wasps. Paper wasps are attracted by its bright green visuals on the sticky trap while bald-faced hornets are attracted to its scented bait. The lure lasts for over 2 weeks. It top chamber kills hornets and wasps by drowning them while the bottom chamber skills them through dehydration.
RESCUE Non-Toxic Reusable Trap for..
- Effective, environmentally responsible answer for trapping wasps, hornets and…
- Catches queens in spring before they build nests; attractant will not lure…
- Once inside the trap, the insects cannot ﬂy out and die either by drowning…
- Durable construction holds up for multiple seasons; two-week attractant kit…
Best Disposable Yellowjacket Trap
This yellowjacket trap may look like disposal, but it works for a full 6 months. It comes in a double layer of plastic bags that lets the wasps in easily but stops them from going out. The trap contains food-grade Heptyl Butyrate, an ingredient found in plums and apples, which is non-toxic. The Yellowjackets are lured in by the smell and fall into the water-soluble attractant, where they die a sticky death.
RESCUE Non-Toxic Disposable Yellow Jacket…
- Traps all major species of yellow jackets common to eastern North America;…
- The insects simply follow their instincts, enter the trap and drown in the…
- A powerful water-soluble attractant is included; you simply add water to the…
- Attractant lasts for weeks, with no rebaiting necessary; once full just throw in…
Best Reusable, Multiple-Entry Trap
Aspectek trap uses a water and sugar bait to lure in hornets and wasps. It features multiple entryways so flies can get easy access into the sticky trap. Its most important aspect is its reusability. Once the chamber is full, the dead insects can be thrown out, and another batch of bait can be prepared. The trap is made of strong plastic and has a very cute design. It can be easily maintained by periodic washings.
Yellow Jackets Trap Wasp Hornets and…
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE: Traps lure insects inside with an irresistible mixture of…
- NON TOXIC – All Natural Re-Usable Trap, Make your mixture of meat and sweet and…
- EASTY TO USE – Just place the mixture inside and hang or place where you see the…
- SPECIAL DESIGN – Design with multiple entry tunnels,once inside the trap,the…
Best Adhesive Tape Trap
The biggest advantage of RESCUE Visilure Fly Trap is that it is very simple to use and is quite affordable. While other wasps and hornet traps rely on cords to hand, this comes with an adhesive agent that can easily stick to any kind of surface. Flies are attracted to its pattern and get stuck on it without any hope of escape.
Rescue FT3-SF8 Visilure Fly Tape…
- Trap is Odor-free
- Easy to unroll and hang
- Adhesive holds up in hot weather
Best Solar Powered Bait Wasp Trap
The Hoont solar powered trap uses an insect’s natural inclination towards the light to trap them. The trap comes with a UV light as well as a space where you can add sugared water for bait. Since the wasp trap is solar powered, it will charge during the day and snap on at dusk. The wasps and hornets will be attracted to the sugar and light, leading them to fly down the small hole and be unable to fly out again. Once the compartment is filled with bugs, all you need to do is unscrew the bottom, and the dead bodies will tumble out.
Hoont Solar Powered Outdoor Wasp Trap…
- EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE – Features double entry tunnels, one on each side, for…
- EASY SETUP – The Hoont Wasp Trap is a simple solution to get your outdoor space…
- SOLAR UV LIGHT – Features a blue UV light that generates a warm glow, increasing…
- LOW MAINTENANCE SOLUTION – Requires no maintenance, simply add some sugared…
Best Baits For Wasp or Hornet Traps
Some of the most common types of wasp and hornet traps include a receptacle which contains a bait or an attractant that lures in the insects. This bait is usually sweet-smelling or scented with whatever attracts the target wasps and hornets.
Sweet Wasp Attractants
Since most wasps drink flower nectars, they are also attracted to sugary foods, whenever they can find them. This means the fresh fruit in your garden and your children’s donuts can attract wasps and hornets straight into your kitchen.
Homemade Sugar Bait
If you have bought a reusable trap that requires you to fill it with a homemade bait, you can make a sugar and water solution. Make sure to blend in lots of sugar into the mixture so that wasps can smell it from far away. This will bring them to the trap quickly.
Vinegar is actually one of the best baits for a wasp trap, specifically for yellowjackets. Vinegar, in addition to some fermented molasses, is one of the most potent attractants for this species of wasp.
Criteria for Selecting the Best Wasp Traps
When out shopping for an effective wasp and hornet trap, you need to look at several different features. However, not all wasp traps will have all of these features. This is just a guide to help you understand what to look for when dealing with certain types of wasps.
Most wasp traps do not use toxic or harmful chemicals. However, some of the attractants they use may trap beneficial pollinating insects, like bees, or inadvertently trap small birds. This is especially true for sticky glue traps. Try to choose a trap that comes with a bird guard so that these feathery animals don’t get trapped along with wasps and hornets. As for bees, look for traps that specifically target different species of wasps only.
Like all things, there are some wasp and hornet traps that work better than others. When selecting a wasp trap, look for ones that target a wide variety of wasps efficiently and easily. The seven products reviewed above are some good ones that you can consider.
If you are buying a wasp trap, you need to take into account whether you may have to run to the supermarket every few days to get a new trap, once your old one has been used. A wasp trap that is reusable as well as strong and durable can last you a long time. They may come at a steeper price, but they are often worth it.
Wasp traps function with different types of bait. Some are liquid attractants that lure in the insects. These products often come with their own special bait formula, contain bait recipes or allow you to use any DIY bait. Then there are some forms of bait that attract wasps and hornet with non-scented, non-food baits like bright colors, beautiful patterns or artificial lighting.
The trap you choose should have an entrance which makes it easy for wasps to get in but not possible to get out. There are some traps which come with multiple entryways so that the insects don’t have to work hard to find a way inside.
There are many outdoor wasp traps which work with electricity. The ones that require a direct power supply need to be plugged into an electricity source. However, you also have the option to choose a solar-powered wasp trap that can charge by itself.
Ease Of Maintenance
Most wasp traps are quite easy to set up and maintain. Some require little to no maintenance, especially disposable ones. However, ones that are reusable and durable may require you to clean them out once in a while. Choose whatever level of maintenance you are okay with.
Since most wasp traps are used outdoors, you need to ensure they remain water-proof and weather-proof. If you are using an adhesive-based trap, it should not be washed away by the rain. Similarly, if you use a liquid bait, it should not be rendered ineffective by extreme heat.
Wasps make paper-like hives on trees, gutters, sheds, garages or any other place that can shelter them from the elements. They will keep the hive inhabited until the weather becomes cold. If you see a large number of paper-like hives in your garden, do not try to remove them yourself. Get a professional to do it.
7 Best Wasp and Hornet Traps of 2019
Wasps may be beneficial to farmers as they eat crop-destroying insects. However, these bugs are not your friends. Most wasps are quite aggressive and can s