Mice are a real menace and that is no news as a result of the havoc they can wreck on food kept at home or even stores. They live around us but we will rather have them live far away from us or totally get rid of them. Getting rid of mice is exactly where a mouse trap comes in. In order to be able to effectively get rid of mice, you need to get a functional mouse trap to help achieve this objective.
Mice traps which are very important tools for rodent control exists in various sizes, shapes and price. Of all the various types of mouse traps, the ones that are often used the most and reported to be effective are the snap traps, multiple mice traps and glue traps. The snap type of mice trap has been around a long time.
There however exist other forms of mouse traps but generally, trapping mice requires skill and time.
Table of Contents
- General Mouse Trapping Hints
- Types and Styles of Mice Traps
- 5 Best Mouse Trap Reviews
- Tips You Need in Picking the Best Mice Trap
General Mouse Trapping Hints
- Use Adequate Traps
People often use insignificant number of mice trap and expect to get a good result that is often not the case. If you want to effectively get rid of mice, then you really need to use as much as six traps or even more to take care of as little as two mice. The size of the place you want to use the trap is what decides how many traps you will use. So for a restaurant or storage room, like twelve traps will be needed.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
- Two Mouse Traps (Snap Traps or Glue Traps) Placed Together
You will have to consider using two snap or glue mouse traps in conjunction in case the mice you are dealing with are very active and really need to be stopped as soon as possible. Mouse that loves to evade traps by jumping have met their water loo with this technique.
Very basic and important to getting rid of mice is placing the traps in a very strategic place where they would be able to do what they are expected to do. If the traps are not where they could do the expected damage, getting the trap in the first place is just a waste of time, effort and energy. The most effective locations is behind appliances, along walls, at the back of objects as well as corners that is out of light coverage. The key thing is just ensure the traps are at places where you know the rats have their activities the most.
- Baits or Lures
You don’t have to use a bait that is large before you can be able to effectively trap a mouse. Just a little size will do the job and very well at that. Consider a bait that has a high proportion of protein and a very good example of that is their favorite- peanut butter. That is not the only bait that can be employed though, there are others as well that will also do a good job like fried bacon, chocolate, salami as well as oatmeal. Very key to choosing a bait however is to consider a meal that is not readily available in that location. You can’t use a bread as a bait in a bakery to trap mice, that will be a joke because they won’t stoop low for your little bait when they can easily get bigger ones all around them.
- Go all out the first night
Mice are also pretty intelligent, they will get used to the trap over time and evade it quite easily. That is why you have to make sure you go all out and maximize the opportunity to trap a lot of mice the first night you have chosen to use the trap.
- Don’t relent
Don’t stop placing the traps and observing the rate of mice activity till you are sure their activities have either diminished or reduced to an acceptable rate.
Types and Styles of Mice Traps
The cool thing about mice traps is that they offer you a DIY option that is way cheaper than when you try to employ the services of professional rodent control agencies. Mice problems are never permanently solved, hence you will have to keep paying these agencies and you will end up discovering that you are spending a lot on a problem that is not solved once and for all. There are different type of mice traps available in the market and they are listed and explained below:
- Electronic Mouse Traps
These traps are powered by batteries and they use baits like the normal traps. How they function is by trapping the mouse right inside where a degree of electric shock that can kill the mouse is applied.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
- Snap Mouse Traps
These traps have been around for a long time and they are a spring loaded devices that has a platform where the baits can be placed such that they snap and kill the mouse when they try to eat the bait with their dangerous ‘jaw’.
- Glue Mouse Traps
These traps are equipped with a glue board that contains sticky substances that possesses a very nice fragrance that will attract the mouse. Once the mouse gets on the glue board, they are permanently stuck and you can decide what to do with the mouse after that.
- Mouse Baiting Traps
These are more or less containers that has a rat bait in them that kills the rat slowly once the rat has found a way to eat the bait. The essence of this trap is that they kill the mouse at other places apart from the location of the trap because the rat will be able to run away just to run away to just go and die elsewhere.
- Multiple Catch Traps
These traps are specially designed to catch a lot of mice at once. They actually don’t kill the mice but they ‘arrest’ them till you are around and can then decide their fate afterwards.
These products are different and effective in their own right, however, if you don’t mind whether the mice is dead or alive and just want to enjoy a rodent-free environment at all cost, then Baiting stations are the best option for you.
5 Best Mouse Trap Reviews
We have been able so far to explore some very cogent things to consider before choosing a particular product to solve your mice problem and you have been able to see that each unique situation demands a particular type or types of mice. Failure to consider these things before choosing a specific product of mice trap is tantamount to futility and that will mean that the mice will continue to torment you and your house despite the fact that you are really putting in a lot of efforts. Hence, solving a mice problem is much more than just getting a mice trap, there are technicalities that are very important that is involved too.
In case you are considering getting a mouse trap that will perfectly suit your purpose and specific situation, below are some of the best five mouse traps you can lay your hand on and they are all available on Amazon:
If you are very particular about seeing the impact of what the trap is doing by seeing the ultimate proof- dead rats then this trap is just what you have been looking for. This trap is specifically designed to just get the job done just like a well-trained soldier trained to specifically eliminate mice. This will however mean that you don’t care about the blood splat at all.
As long as you just want to end the mice issue without caring for any other consideration, ‘Victor’ is nothing but a victor in this regard.
If solving your mice problem while saving a great deal is your concern, then this product is just exactly what you need. This product is not just cheap, the cool thing about it is that it can be used a couple of times again and even for years! It is not difficult to use at all and it can stand the test of time because it is made of top quality steel as well as polystyrene material. Something may be cheap and durable but not effective; that is not an issue you have to worry about with Snap-E Mouse trap because it is a very effective trap designed to simply put an end to the almost unsurmountable mice issue you have that is so recurrent to your dismay and disgust.
You may be worried about the blood splat that may be accompanied with the way the trap works because it is traditionally a snap trap and snap traps by their nature always lead to some degree of blood splat. However, if getting the job done and well done is what your focus is, then Snap-E is a sure bet product that guarantees that your house becomes a fortress against the mice invaders lurking around.
You however have to be careful to ensure that you place them out of reach of children and pets because Snap-E cannot distinguish between children, pets and mice.
This trap ensures that no blood stain is dealt with. It is durable and can be used for a long period of time. You only have to refill it with bait again because it is a bait station in order for you to be able to guarantee its continued effectiveness. Unlike snap traps, it is very safe for children and pets and it is very ideal in case you know there is a very high likelihood that your kids or pets may tamper with the trap.
People who want to control rodents in a large expanse of space especially cities will be delighted with this trap.
This trap is a combination of steel and plastic and that is no just a coincidence. This trap is designed specifically this way to the end that the task of ridding your house of mice is achieved but with a lesser degree of blood splat. Just like Snap-E, it is also not complicated to use at all. Another nice thing about this trap is that it has a pretty large bait area which makes it possible for you to place your bait wherever you will like to place it.
The size of the mouse will decide the kind of result that will be achieved, a pretty large mouse will ensure that the trap squeezes the mouse and there would be blood splat. However, a smaller mouse will however bleed.
People who wants to get rid of mice without having to contend with their bleeding due to different reasons such as seeing killing a mouse as something that is morally wrong usually go for glue traps. The catchmaster is a classical glue trap with a very alluring fragrance that will attract the mice and get them stuck till you will decide what you want to do with them.
I hope this article has been able to help you to make a good choice in your bid to put an end to the mice issue that has been frustrating you.
Tips You Need in Picking the Best Mice Trap
Don’t just buy a mouse trap just because you have a rodent issue, there are things you need to consider and questions you need to ask yourself before deciding to go for a particular type of mice trap or particular product. Below are some vital things you need to consider before choosing a particular mouse trap:
- Mouse traps are very effective when it comes to doing the job you need them to do which is to eradicate the mice. The issue however is the way they go about the task or getting rid of the mice. It can be bloodied and can freak out people who cannot stand the presence of a blood stained scenery.
- You must also be able to sincerely ask yourself if you can stand the presence of live mice. If you know you cannot stand the presence of a mouse that is alive and especially when they are many then you will be doing yourself a lot of harm by getting a multiple catch trap for example because those traps are specially designed to catch mice alive! People who clamor for animal right has these type of traps as their favorite and you can also utilize it as well as long as you are acquainted with the necessary information needed to use them well.
- Snap Traps, Glue Traps and Baiting Stations are not for you at all if you know you are the kind of person that has exceptions for the killing of mice. A multiple catch trap is what a person like you need in order to be able to effectively deal with your rodent issue without having any clash with your conscience as a result of your persuasion.
- A bait station that is specially designed to kill rodents at places far away from the location where they had eaten the bait will be the be the best solution for you if you know that you will be travelling a long time. Making use of Snap, Glue, Electronic, and Multiple Catch Traps in a situation like this will eradicate the mice before you are back but will leave you with another problem to solve by the time you are back because the whole house will be full of unpalatable and foul smell which is just no what you want.
- In a situation in which you observe that you have a very terrible set of mice in your house who finds joy in roaming around very discrete parts of your house such as Snap Traps, Glue Traps and Baiting Stations, you won’t want to utilize a trap that will lead to the splattering of blood such as the snap traps. You equally will not want to consider a glue trap because there is the likelihood of the mice rolling into those areas you don’t want them. The bait stations will be your best tactic in this kind of areas because it will mean that the mice will go and die elsewhere. You can also consider an electronic trap in this case.
- If your apartment is full of a lot of irrelevant stuffs then it is more likely that you will always be at the losing end in your battle against mice because you have given them the ample opportunity to hide in various places that way and this will make it very difficult to get rid of them. Consider the price of operation as well when buying a mice trap and you need to know that Snap Traps are disposed off with their kill, Baiting Stations need to be replenished with specialty bait and electronic Traps need battery replacements. Hence, think twice before you choose to buy a particular product.