Do you own a dog or a cat?
If yes, then make sure to regularly check them for fleas. Perhaps the only downside of having a dog or a cat as a pet is that they can easily get fleas and even transfer the tiny, horrible creatures to you.
Yes, fleas can actually hatch and live on humans too!
These dark brown colored, wingless, and seemingly harmless creatures not only make your innocent pet’s life miserable, but can also make yours hell too.
How do fleas survive on humans?
Dogs and cats’ furs provide the ideal habitat for fleas. While humans are not their desirable hosts, fleas can live in human hair as they provide a similar kind of environment.
The fleas from pets can easily get transferred to humans if you are holding or playing with an infested pet. While there is only one type of fleas, out of more than 2000, that can actually live on humans for a long time and is hence called ‘human fleas’, the ones that you get from pets can be really dangerous too.
While they usually hide in your hair, they do not just live there – they travel and bite all over your body, causing terrible itchiness and red lumps. They are not only painful, but can also make you susceptible to a host of diseases and infections that these tiny monsters may be carrying. Even the flea saliva can cause infections in some people.
All these factors make it all the more important to take immediate measures to get rid of fleas in human hair.
Table of Contents
- Best Way to Remove Fleas from Human Hair
- Top Shampoos for Treating Fleas in Human Hair
- Criteria Used For Selecting the Best Shampoos to Remove Fleas in Humans
- User Guide – How To Use The Shampoo To Get Rid of Fleas?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Way to Remove Fleas from Human Hair
While there are many home remedies available on the internet that claim to help you get rid of human fleas, the best way is to use a flea shampoo.
Need to hire an exterminator? Get a free estimate online from top local home service pros in your area.
No; this doesn’t mean you should start using the same shampoo that you bought for your pet.
While there aren’t any shampoos specifically designed to help us humans get rid of the fleas hiding in our hair, you can use shampoos made for treating lice. They will work just fine!
Last update on 2019-05-22
Top Shampoos for Treating Fleas in Human Hair
To save you from the trouble of trying out every lice shampoo available out there to find the one that actually works on fleas, here we are listing the best ones.
It’s time to get rid of these little monsters once and for all!
1. LiceLogic Natural Clear and Free Shampoo
- MAKE THE LOGICAL CHOICE - Mom approved and pediatrician recommended for kids...
- SAFE FOR DAILY USE - Simply massage into the hair and scalp for 15 minutes....
- LICE ELIMINATOR - Naturally rids head lice, nits, and eggs for kids and adults....
- FAMILY-SIZE BOTTLE - Comes in an 8 fl. oz./236 ml bottle. Each bottle contains...
Last update on 2019-05-22
Especially manufactured with the safety of both environment and your family in mind, LiceLogic Natural Care and Free shampoo contains no harsh chemicals and is completely free of pesticides as well. The non-toxic and gentle formula makes it perfect for use by the whole family, including children over two years.
Made with highly effective plant-based ingredients and a specially manufactured enzyme blend, the shampoo has been proved to kill fleas, lice, and nits quickly.
For the complete removal of fleas and their eggs, it is recommended to continue using the shampoo for about 8 to 10 days after they disappear.
- Free of all toxic chemicals
- Gentle and safe to use for children – recommended by pediatricians
- Independently tested
- 100% natural – made of plant-based ingredients
- Highly effective for all lice and fleas and their eggs
- May require using a nit comb to remove the flea eggs
2. Wipe Out – Natural Head Lice Treatment by Head Hunters
- New Super Lice Formula That Eliminates all Stages and Strains of Head Lice
- Penetrates Lice & Nits and Creates a Physical Reaction that Kills from the...
- Soothes and Restores the Hair and Scalp from the Damage Caused by the Lice...
- #1 Professional Lice Treatment, used in Salons and by Technicians Across the...
Last update on 2019-05-22
Made of all natural ingredients, the Wipe Out shampoo uses a new super lice formula that kills lice by causing a physical reaction – all other anti-lice shampoos cause a chemical reaction. The product is designed in such a way that lice and fleas will not be able to sense the moisture. When these insects sense moisture, they close their orifices and prevent them from the effects of the chemicals or ingredients that can harm them.
What makes Wipe Out even more effective is that it works well for all types of head lice and fleas in human hair and can even remove their eggs. The shampoo also helps to restore the damage these tiny monsters caused to your hair and scalp. The product is being continuously tested by the company against different strains of lice and fleas to make sure it continues to be effective.
Pro Tip: For better results, apply the Wipe Out shampoo on dry hair first and massage well onto the scalp.
- Smells good
- Restores the damage caused by lice and fleas
- Effective for lice and fleas at all stages of their life cycle
- Good value for money
- May not be as effective on damp or wet hair as it is on dry hair
3. Dr. Bronner’s Eucalyptus Castile Liquid Soap
- The peppermint essential oil tingles the body and clears the mind
- Eucalyptus opens your pores and clears your sinuses while enveloping the body in...
- Lavender is a relaxing fragrance for tired and stressed-out souls, helps calm...
- Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic that helps heal cuts and bruises as well as...
Last update on 2019-05-22
Containing a unique blend of essential oils, Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap is an all-purpose cleaner. With more than 18 different claimed uses, the liquid soap can be used to not only remove fleas from your hair, but also from your home and pets’ hair. Made with certified, high-quality organic essential oils, the formula is gentle and safe for everyone’s use.
Some of the essential oils present in Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap are peppermint, lavender, tea-tree, and lavender – all known for their effectiveness against lice and fleas. Research shows that the combination of eucalyptus and tea-tree oil kills lice and fleas by suffocating them.
- Effective for fleas and lice
- Does not contain any synthetic preservatives
- Not known for effectiveness against lice and fleas’ eggs
Criteria Used For Selecting the Best Shampoos to Remove Fleas in Humans
There is a huge variety of anti-lice shampoos available in the market, but not all of them work effectively for removing fleas in human hair. Hence, the major factor that we considered to find the best 3 shampoos was their ‘effectiveness’ on fleas.
All these products are highly effective for fleas.
Price and safety were the other key factors that were considered.
User Guide – How To Use The Shampoo To Get Rid of Fleas?
Using a lice and flea shampoo is pretty simple; just like a regular shampoo. Simply, apply the shampoo to damp hair and massage on your scalp and hair. Let the shampoo do its work for about 20 to 30 minutes.
For better results, comb your hair with shampoo using a nit comb (to remove flea eggs) and then rinse.
While the method to use all shampoos is similar, make sure to read the instructions on the bottle for any specific instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about shampoos that are used to treat lice, nits, and fleas in human hair.
· Are anti-lice shampoos safe for children use?
There are many anti-lice shampoos that are specifically manufactured for children, while others use gentle ingredients and hence, are safe for everyone’s use. However, there are many shampoos, sprays and other products for removing lice and fleas that use harsh chemicals. So, always check the ingredients, or consult a doctor if you are not sure, before using a product on children.
· Can lice shampoos be potentially hazardous?
While obtaining the FDA approval requires rigorous testing of products, every individual reacts differently to different ingredients. Some individuals may have unique sensitivities and vulnerabilities and this needs to be considered before you use any product or treatment.
This is why it is recommended to always take an expert’s advice before using any product designed to treat lice and fleas in human hair, just to be on the safe side. People with a skin condition or any pre-existing illness may get an adverse reaction with the use of chemical-based products. Similarly, pregnant women and nursing mothers should be very careful with any product that contains strong chemicals.
· How can I remove fleas from my home?
There are many products available in the market that can help you get rid of fleas from your home. Following are some of the most effective ones:
- Flea sprays that have Insect Growth Regulators (IGRs)
- Diatomaceous earth – just sprinkle it throughout your house and then clean with a vacuum cleaner. Make sure to properly clean your vacuum after that.
- Flea steamers
- Flea foggers – not a preferred method, but can be used for quick removal of fleas from your home.