How would you feel if you woke up one morning only to find your bathroom looking like a filthy pool because of the overflowing toilet?
And the next moment, you will find yourself running to the nearest store and bugging the sales person to help you find the best drain cleaner.
This is one of the common examples of household plumbing emergencies. If you are like most people, you must have been guilty of ignoring the drains of your house (at least once) until one of them got clogged and created a mess in your kitchen or bathroom.
Clogged drains are not only nasty, but they also create inconvenience and can be difficult to clean. Moreover, they also pose many health risks. Standing water along with gunk and organic matter provide an ideal breeding ground for different types of bacteria.
As opposed to what many people think, drains do not get clogged overnight. Plumping emergencies mostly commonly arise because we ignore the little signs that hint towards the bigger issues lingering in the drains.
To avoid plumbing emergencies, experts tell people to be very careful about what they throw down their house drains and recommend cleaning their drains regularly using the best drain cleaner.
But, how do you know which drain cleaner is the best?
Don’t worry – we have got you covered!
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Drain Cleaners of 2019
- Buyer’s Guide –Telling the Good from the Bad
- Things to Consider While Choosing a Drain Cleaner
- User Guide – The Right Way to Use Drain Cleaners
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Word
5 Best Drain Cleaners of 2019
Tired of trying every drain cleaner available in the market in an attempt to find the one that actually works?
It’s time to put to rest the age-old quest for the Holy Grail of drain cleaning.
We have reviewed some of the best clog removers available out there and have identified the pros and cons of each.
Continue reading to find the ultimate solution for different types of drain clogs…
1. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover
Drano has been known for making some of the best drain cleaners. The Max Gel Clog Remover is the latest addition to their line of products and has quickly gained popularity because it’s safer than other Drano products and can be used for all types of pipes. It contains a special ingredient that protects drain pipes from corrosion.
The thicker consistency (it is gel) makes it great for stubborn blockages and drains that are completely clogged. You don’t have to wait all day for the standing water to somehow pass through the drain to use this product. Since it is thick, it easily gets to the bottom of the standing water and performs its magic.
Drano Max Gel is the best drain cleaner for hair clogs. This means it is your best friend for cleaning bathroom sinks and shower drains. It also works well for grease and soap scum. However, the product is not recommended for toilet clogs.
While the gel is quite safe and does not give off any hazardous fumes, it is suggested to wear goggles and gloves while using it – better safe than sorry!
- Can be used on all types of plumbing pipes, including metal pipes
- Safe – does not give off any dangerous fumes
- Works best for hair clogs – the most stubborn of all types of drain clogs
- Does not contain phosphorus
- Can be left overnight
- May take a little longer to work than other Drano products
- Not recommended for toilet drains
2. Green Gobbler Dissolve
If you are looking for an enzymatic solution for treating the slow and clogged drains of your house, Green Gobble products are your best bet. With a range of green and easy-to-use products, Green Gobbler’s drain cleaners are the foremost choice of a large number of people.
Green Gobbler Dissolve is specially designed for blockages in bathroom drains caused by the accumulation of toilet paper, soap scum and hair. Due to the thick formula, the product clings to the drain pipes and removes dirt and sludge, liquefies the hardened soap scum and grease, dissolves toilet paper, and breaks away hair clogs.
If you have got a slow draining sink, tub, or shower drain, pour the Green Gobbler Dissolve and you will have a clean and free-flowing drain within minutes.
The only downside of this product is that it doesn’t work that well on completely clogged drains – but, this is somewhat expected from an enzymatic cleaner.
- Does not contain harsh chemicals like most traditional drain cleaners and hence, safe to use
- Works great for all bathroom drains and kitchen sinks
- Non-inflammable and odorless
- Non-corrosive – does not cause any damage to the pipes.
- Not effective for completely clogged drains
- May take a little longer due to the absence of very harsh chemicals
3. Xion Lab Safer Drain Opener
Whether caused by hair, grease, soap scum, organic matter, or just gunk, this Safer Drain Opener by Xion Lab works great for all types of blockages and clogs, except the ones caused by paper and plastic.
While this does not qualify as the best toilet cleaner, it definitely is the best clog remover for all other household drains.
The thick liquid formula makes it safer and easier to use, as it does not splash, and effectively clears all the drains without leaving any odor. The Lab Safe Drain Opener is also the right choice for people who prefer to use eco-friendly products – the product is biodegradable. The drain cleaner is approved by NSF for safety and quality.
- Works quickly
- Best drain cleaner for grease and hair clogs
- Approved by NSF hence, safe to use
- Can also be used for septic tank systems
- The company provides a refund policy for dissatisfied customers
- Environmentally-friendly – the product is biodegradable and the bottle is recyclable
- May not be highly effective for complete or highly stubborn obstructions
- Does not work on paper and plastic clogs.
4. RID-X Septic System Maintenance
While septic systems do not need to be cleaned as regularly as other household pipes and drains, it definitely needs to be checked for maintenance. For a household septic system, it is recommended that you get it professionally cleaned at least once in every three years. However, it may need more frequent cleaning if there is a high volume of solids in the wastewater that flows through it.
This does not mean you should call a professional every now and then – you can do the septic system maintenance on your own. A few things to be careful about are:
- Keep an eye on what’s going down your drains – do not throw paper towels, cigarettes, facial wipes, pet litter, sanitary napkins, diapers, down the toilet drain.
- Coffee grounds can cause a clog in the septic system much quickly than it took you to make the coffee.
- Do not overload your septic system
- Carry out regular inspections and maintenance. And here is where the RID-X Septic System Maintenance comes in handy.
We know how difficult it is to find a drain cleaner that is safe for septic systems. Therefore, we have found the right product for you!
RID-X comes in a powdered form and is not only safe, but also very easy-to-use. Its dual-action formula effectively cleanses your septic system by breaking down all the waste material that has accumulated, over time. Whether it’s grease, oil, organic matter, or paper, RID-X works for everything and helps to prevent septic backups, which can create havoc in your home.
- Safe for all types of septic tanks and pipes
- Works effectively on all types of waste materials and buildups
- Contains enzymes and bacterial spores due to which it may trigger certain allergies and cause problems for people with respiratory diseases
5. Comstar 30-500 Pure Lye Drain Opener
Toilet clogs are the nastiest and most disgusting of all – there are no two views about it. The sight of a blocked or an overflowing toilet is so sickening that you can’t even handle the sight of it and instantly want to call a plumber.
No more paying hefty amounts to plumbers – we have found the best drain cleaner for toilets!
As evident from the name, Pure Lye Drain Opener by Comstar is 100% lye or sodium hydroxide (the chemical name) and hence, it is a very strong product.
It quickly removes all clogs caused by organic materials and leaves your drains clean and germ-free.
Caution: Lye is a very strong chemical and should not come into contact with your skin – even a very small amount of sodium hydroxide can cause chemical burns. Therefore, you need to be extremely careful while using this product and follow all the precautionary measures. Wear protective glasses, gloves, and mask before opening the bottle.
Also, add the product very slowly into the drain because when lye dissolves, it produces heat. Quickly adding too much product can cause fumes, which is dangerous for health, and can also damage the pipes.
To sum up, Pure Lye Drain Opener is the best drain cleaner for toilets. You just have to be careful while using it and you will never be searching for any other toilet drain cleaner again.
- Highly effective for all clogs caused by organic matter
- Works quickly
- Very easy to use
- Safe to use for plastic pipes
- The chemical is very strong and can be very dangerous, if not handled properly.
Buyer’s Guide –Telling the Good from the Bad
With numerous brands producing countless different types of drain cleaners, choosing the right one for your house can be overwhelming.
We know the struggle and this is why we have done the research and have put together a list of the best drain cleaners for different types of clogs in different area of your plumbing system.
Things to Consider While Choosing a Drain Cleaner
Still, we want you to have all the essential information required to sort through the available options and choose the product that best suits your needs. Here are the things you should consider to pick the right products (we followed the same guideline for this blog):
User Guide – The Right Way to Use Drain Cleaners
While most drain cleaners come with the instructions for use written on the packet or bottle, there are a few general guidelines and tips that you should know and follow to enhance the effectiveness and prevent any trouble. They include:
- Even if you are using a safe product, it is always better to wear protective gloves, glasses, and mask while using a drain cleaner.
- Always be careful while pouring the product down the drain – do not splash the product or squeeze the bottle. Also, add the cleaner slowly into the drain. Some cleaners contain powerful chemicals that create heat and fumes, which can be dangerous. When drain cleaners come in contact with the clogs, a chemical reaction takes place. Adding too much of a product can cause a severe reaction.
- Make sure children, pets, and elderly are not around when you are using a drain cleaner because they are sensitive and can have problems with even harmless chemicals.
- For stubborn clogs, it is recommended to leave the cleaner overnight.
- Flush the drains with hot water (not boiling though) once the cleaner has done its magic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do not wait for your house drains to get completely clogged. Notice the small signs, like a slow draining sink or water puddle around your feet while taking shower, and treat your clean your drains with a good quality drain opener and clog remover. If left untreated, these small blockages can turn into huge plumbing issues and can wreak havoc in your house.
Even if your drainage system is working just fine, it is recommended to use a clean them using a mild drain opener for maintenance. The drainage system is a part of your house – it needs to be cleaned just like other things in your house.
Choose what you think is the best drain opener for your plumbing system and the types of clogs that are most likely to occur.