A mattress cover is one of the best tools you can buy in your fight against bed bugs. Zippered covers that encase the entire mattress trap bed bugs inside and prevent them from escaping.
Why would you want to trap bed bugs inside of your mattress? Because they can live up to 10 months in between meals. Trapping them inside keeps them from getting their next meal – you.
There are hundreds of mattress covers on the market, but only a few offer the bed protection you need. We’re going to share our top picks and answer some of your most pressing questions about bed bug mattress protectors.
Table of Contents
- 8 Best Bed Bug Mattress Cover Solutions in 2019
- 8 Bed Bug Mattress Protectors
- 1. SafeRest Premium Mattress Encasement
- 2. Linenspa Zippered Mattress Protector
- 3. Utopia Bedding Mattress Encasement
- 4. AmazonBasics Fully-Encased Cover
- 5. Bedsure Zippered Mattress Encasement
- 6. Bedecor Zippered Mattress Protector
- 7. Hospitology Products Sleep Defense System
- 8. AllerEase Mattress Protector
- 9. Red Nomad Zippered Encasement
- How Do Mattress Protectors Fight Against Bed Bugs?
- How Important is Mattress Depth When Buying a Cover?
- What Features are Most Important When Choosing a Mattress Protector for Bed Bugs?
- Can You Wash a Mattress Cover in the Washing Machine?
- How Do You Install a Mattress Protector?
8 Best Bed Bug Mattress Cover Solutions in 2019
Our Top Pick: SafeRest Premium Mattress Encasement
SafeRest’s mattress encasement protects your mattress on all six sides, creating a barrier that prevents bed bugs from getting in or out. The Micro-Zipper technology prevents bed bugs from escaping thanks to the tiny zipper teeth. A velcro strap at the zipper closing also prevents accidental openings.
Comfortable and easy to install, this mattress protector is one of the most popular among bed-bug sufferers.
- Encases the entire mattress for complete protection
- Zipper technologies prevent bed bugs from escaping
- Soft terry cotton surface
- Available in multiple sizes
8 Bed Bug Mattress Protectors
1. SafeRest Premium Mattress Encasement
SafeRest’s zippered mattress protector is 100% waterproof and made with cotton. It’s also made by one of the most popular mattress protector brands on the market today, so it’s easily our top pick for the best bed bug mattress cover.
SafeRest has their mattress covers independently tested and certified for bed bug entry, escape and bite prevention. It surrounds and safeguards the mattress on all six sides. The encasement, which is fully zippered for maximum protection, comes in six sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king.
Along with bed bugs, this mattress cover will also protect against allergens, dust mites, fluids, bacteria, urine and perspiration. And the Micro-Zipper technology, which is unique to SafeRest’s product, prevents bed bugs in all stages from passing through the teeth. The 360 secure zipper closing is designed to prevent accidental openings because the end zipper traveler is sealed with a Velcro flap.
Plus, the cotton terry surface adds comfort while protecting your loved ones from bed bugs.
- Zippered, fully-encased cover protects the mattress on all six sides
- Micro-Zipper technology prevents bed bug escapes
- Zipper secure prevents accidental openings
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Terry cotton surface is soft
- Cover must be washed and dried properly to prevent damage
2. Linenspa Zippered Mattress Protector
Thin and waterproof, Linenspa protects all six sides of the mattress from fluids and spills. It’s vinyl-free, too, so it’s safe for kids and free of chemical smells. It uses polyurethane to create a waterproof barrier.
The zippered closure fits mattresses up to 12” deep and fully encases the mattress to provide a protective barrier against bed bugs, dust mites and other allergens.
The smooth, soft fabric is machine washable and breathable for a comfortable night of sleep. Unlike with other covers, this one won’t make crackling noises when you change sleeping positions at night.
Linenspa’s mattress protector comes in several sizes, including: twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king and California king.
- Protects the mattress on all six sides with a zippered cover
- Works with mattresses up to 12” deep
- Vinyl-free and quiet
- Comes in multiple sizes
- No zipper protection to prevent bed bug escape
3. Utopia Bedding Mattress Encasement
Utopia’s mattress encasement is made with stretchable knitted polyester for a soft, comfortable feel. The stretchy nature of the fabric allows for an easy fit on your mattress, and there’s PVC waterproof TPU backing on all sides to serve as a waterproof barrier.
The zippered cover has a zip guard which secures the mattress and prevents bed bugs from escaping or accidental openings.
As an added bonus, this mattress cover is 100% machine washable. You can even toss it in the dryer (on low) for easy maintenance and care.
Utopia’s mattress encasement is bed-bug proof, dust-mite proof and escape proof. It comes in six sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king.
- Covers the mattress on all six sides
- Zipper and zip guard prevent bed bug escapes
- 100% machine washable
- Comes in multiple sizes
- PVC waterproof barrier is noisy when you change positions on the bed
4. AmazonBasics Fully-Encased Cover
Available in six sizes, the AmazonBasics mattress cover protects all sides of the mattress to keep bed bugs from escaping.
The heavy-duty polyester knitted fabric allows for a snug fit, and the cull zipper closure covers all four sides of the mattress. This cover is also waterproof to protect against spills. It’s breathable and vinyl-free for a comfortable, quiet night of sleep.
The AmazonBasics cover is designed to fit mattresses with a 12” depth, but it can stretch to fit mattresses that are 18” deep. There’s also an option for a low-profile mattress with a 9” depth.
This mattress protector is available in six sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king.
- Provides complete mattress encasement
- Prevents bed bugs from escaping
- Accommodates mattresses of 12” and 9” depth
- Comes in multiple sizes
- No zipper protections to prevent accidental openings
5. Bedsure Zippered Mattress Encasement
Bedsure’s mattress zippered encasement protects all sides of your mattress, and it’s 100% waterproof to further protect your mattress from spills and liquids.
This six-sided cover secures your mattress, and the zipper prevents bed bugs from sneaking out. There’s also a foam pad cover over the end stop zipper to prevent accidental openings.
Made with 100% lightweight polyester microfiber, this cover is easy to install without needing any help. The stretchy material allows this cover to accommodate mattresses that are 9”-12” deep. You can also wash this mattress protector in the washing machine for easy care and maintenance.
- Zippered protector covers all six sides of the mattress
- Prevents bed bugs from escaping
- Accommodates mattresses of 9”-12” depth
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Foam pad covers the end stop zipper to prevent accidental openings
- Not entirely quiet
6. Bedecor Zippered Mattress Protector
Bedecor’s zippered mattress encasement is vinyl-free and features TPU backing on all sides to keep your mattress dry and protected.
Made with a stretchable material, this mattress cover features a mini-zipper and velcro zip guard that provides protection from bed bugs of all ages. The tiny zipper teeth prevent even young bed bugs from escaping.
Machine washable, this cover is easy to maintain. It also comes in multiple sizes – twin, full, queen and king – and can support mattresses that are 9”-13” deep.
- Mini-zipper prevents even young bed bugs from escaping
- Velcro zipper guard for added protection
- Accommodates mattresses of 9”-13” depth
- Supports all mattress sizes
- Zipper is fragile
7. Hospitology Products Sleep Defense System
The Sleep Defense System is both bed bug and dust mite proof. Made with polyester, this mattress cover has been lab tested and is 100% waterproof.
How is this protector bed bug proof? It has a built-in Zipperlock and Bugflap which prevents bugs from escaping. The Zipperlock function actually locks the zipper in place to prevent it from opening. The Bugflap is a velcro strap that covers the end stop zipper to offer even more protection against accidental openings.
The soft knit polyester fabric is comfortable and soft, and it also allows for a snug fit around the mattress. This cover can also be washed and dried at temperatures up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Zipperlock and Bugflap keep zipper in place to prevent bed bugs from escaping
- Knit polyester fabric is comfortable
- 100% waterproof
- Machine washable
- Isn’t 100% waterproof at the seams
8. AllerEase Mattress Protector
Comfortable, easy to install and bed bug proof, the AllerEase mattress protector will extend the life of your mattress while helping you get rid of your bed bug problem. The cover protects all sides of the mattress, encasing it in a barrier that is fully zippered.
One nice thing about this encasement is that it has temperature balancing technology which prevents you from overheating while using this cover. It allows for a comfortable night of sleep while keeping bed bugs away from your family.
AllerEase’s cover is also backed by a 10-year warranty and comes in a variety of sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen and king.
- Zippered encasement keeps bed bugs inside
- Temperature balancing technology for added comfort
- Comfortable fabric
- Backed by a 10-year warranty
- Waterproof protection isn’t as good as other covers
9. Red Nomad Zippered Encasement
Red Nomad’s zippered mattress cover is designed to trap bed bugs inside and prevent allergies. It’s also waterproof to protect your mattress from spills and liquids.
The zippered feature allows for complete protection of your mattress on all six sides. It traps bed bugs inside to keep them from getting their next meal. The velcro enclosement also keeps the zipper in place to prevent accidental openings that would let bed bugs escape.
This cover also offers medical-grade allergy protection as well as a 100% waterproof membrane.
Soft polyester allows for a quiet night of sleep, and the soft fabric keeps you comfortable.
- Zipper allows for full mattress encasement
- Velcro strap keeps the zipper securely in place
- Soft, comfortable fabric
- 100% waterproof
- Not very breathable
How Do Mattress Protectors Fight Against Bed Bugs?
Mattress covers are designed to protect your mattress from stains and other wear and tear that might shorten its lifespan. Fully encased covers, like the ones we reviewed, take things a step further by keeping bed bugs, dust mites, bacteria and allergens trapped inside where they can’t affect you and your family.
A mattress cover will only help you fight back against bed bugs if it’s fully encased. It needs to cover all sides of the mattress, and it needs to have a zipper closure to prevent bed bugs from escaping. A regular cover, which doesn’t encase the bottom of the mattress, will only allow bed bugs to crawl out and feed whenever they want.
The best bed bug mattress protectors will have tiny zipper teeth to prevent young bed bugs from escaping, and they’ll also have a velcro strap that goes over the zipper to prevent accidental openings There are also some covers have a zipper lock for even more protection against bed bug escapes and subsequent bites.
How Important is Mattress Depth When Buying a Cover?
When choosing a cover for your mattress, it’s important to pick the right size. Most will come in every possible size, including XL sizes for twin and full. Choosing between king, queen, full or twin is easy. But what about mattress depth?
It’s important to make sure that your cover can accommodate your mattress depth. Otherwise, it will be too big or small and won’t offer the protection you need. The cover needs to fit snugly to prevent bed bugs from escaping.
If you’re not sure of your mattress depth, you can use a tape measure to find out. Most mattresses are between 9” and 13” deep. Depth refers to the height of the mattress and does not include your box spring.
Take the time to measure the depth of your mattress before buying a cover just to make sure that you choose the right size.
What Features are Most Important When Choosing a Mattress Protector for Bed Bugs?
If you’re choosing a mattress cover for your bed bug problem, there are a few important things that you should look for:
- Fully enclosed with a zipper closure
- Micro zipper teeth
- Velcro strap on end zipper
Along with these important features, you also want to make sure that the cover is comfortable and breathable to keep you from getting too hot or cold in the middle of the night.
Most protectors are waterproof, so they will make some noise when you move around. However, some are louder than others. Ideally, you want a vinyl-free cover because it’s quieter.
Polyester knitted covers will also be easier to install and offer a tighter fit around the mattress.
Can You Wash a Mattress Cover in the Washing Machine?
One of the first questions people ask when buying a mattress cover is whether they can wash it in their washing machine. Easy care and maintenance is important, especially if you have kids and a busy life.
In most cases, zippered mattress protectors are machine washable. Most can also be tossed in the dryer. But here’s the thing: you have to tumble dry on low or no heat. The same rule applies to washing the cover. It’s best to go with a cool or warm wash. Otherwise, you may damage the waterproof features or the zipper.
We recommend that you wash your cover on delicate to prevent any damage to the cover or the zipper. The best method is to hand wash your protector, but we know that most people do not have the time or patience to do this. So, to be on the safe side, wash on delicate and dry on low heat.
Keep in mind that your cover may have different washing instructions. Always refer to the care instructions given by the manufacturer.
One important thing that we have to note here: you really shouldn’t remove your mattress protector for any reason for at least a year. You may be tempted to remove the cover after a few weeks or months of use, but if you do this, you make it easy for bed bugs to come out, eat, and find new places to hide.
If you’re worried about cleanliness and spills, we recommend buying two covers, and placing an additional cover on top of the encasement. For the second protector, you can simply buy a top cover that fits over the mattress like a fitted sheet. This will allow you to launder the cover whenever you want without worrying about letting bed bugs run free.
How Do You Install a Mattress Protector?
Once you have your mattress cover, you’ll need to install it properly to ensure that bed bugs stay trapped inside.
Although they’re easy to install, it’s best to have at least two people ready to help with the installation.
- Start by removing the mattress from your box spring and bed frame. Have someone help you with this step. Lean the mattress up against the wall.
- Unzip the mattress protector on all three sides.
- Wrap the shorter, unzippered side over the top of the standing mattress.
- Pull the encasement down (be gentle) so that both sides of the mattress are covered.
- Begin zippering the encasement.
- Lay the mattress back down onto the box spring or bed frame.
- Finish closing the zipper and secure the velcro strap if there is one.
Always be gentle when pulling down the encasement. Otherwise, you may damage the zipper or the cover material itself.
It’s important to make sure that the non-zippered side is at the top of the mattress. Otherwise, you’ll have a hard time removing the cover when you need to wash it.